Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Auxilliary Pulley Disintigrated

Club XM Forum > XM General Issues
Pages: 1, 2
xm_on_a_shoestring
Last Sunday(4th Jan), I was on my way to Lincoln (in 2.5TD estate) to drop my son off at UNI. I stopped to fill up with fuel, then continued my journey along A52 Derby-Notts. For those who know it, at Bramcote Island it developed a knocking noise which increased and decreased with engine revs. I pulled in at next roundabout witha shopping precinct opposite a Shell garage.
From observing it with bonnet up, the auxilliary belt kept starting and stopping. Recovery chap said it could be woodruff key or similar as the bottom pulley was just hanging in there on the belt and all out of line.
I got recovered then went in the 2.1 back to Lincoln no problems.
I took the pulley off this morning and enclose picture. It looks like it should be rubber bonded together between the outer and inner.
Does anyone have a spare or are they available from citroen.
I'm away till Wed at the least, so any suggestions replies I'll pick up after that.
A while back I kept getting a screeching noise on start up which disappeared once the car warmed up. I kept thinking this might have been the little tensioner wheel bearings drying out.
Before it broke down last week the screech had disappered for at least a fortnight. Now I know it wasn't the tensioner wheel after all.
From the pic, you'll see what remains of rubber were left.
shoestring
dean
Hi shoestring

Sorry to hear of your troubles, i believe this is a common fault though.
I wonder why they bond the pulleys together like that? maybe as some sort of shock absorbency?

Regards
D
Andmcit
I've heard of late Xantia HDi pulleys do the same thing and there's a load always auctioned
on ebay. That said, I can't see any other pulley on Citroen's parts database website apart from:

00000515H3 CRANK PULLEY 132.12 GBP 151.94 GBP 151.94 GBP

I haven't been up close and personal with a 2.5TD engine yet so I assume that item 4 is the
item in question;
user posted image

I assume my ignorance here will be corrected in due course! tongue.gif biggrin.gif

Andrew
Andmcit
Crazy thing is I've looked at the aircon pump, I've seen the alternator, as well as the hydraulic
pump, but they don't appear to use any additional pulley apart from the aforementioned crank
pulley though there's no overall schematic showing the pulleys/belt.

Andrew
lez
the bit that breaks is number 4 above, its held on by 4 bolts, you can get them from the scrap yard off another xm or maybe some peugeot.

4*10mm bolts i think, asier than undoing the big nut.
combwork
For what it's worth (not a lot?) I think the 'split' flywheel in the Diesel engined Fiat Multipla is built the same way, with rubber bonding the two parts together. From what I've read it's done to minimise vibration and to some extent, cushions snatch as load is taken up.

In its own quirky way, the Multipla is a fine car but having had two they're another example of 'no DIY'. There's no workshop manual available to the public, apart from what you can buy on Ebay; a DVD that's meant to give service information section by section.

At least with a combination of Haynes and Peter Russek, the XM has some information available on paper.
robertmnorton
I recently posted the failure of my 2.1 torsional vibration damper (crank pulley). Had to pay cit price here in france as my spare is in garage at home.It was only £30 cheaper through local motor factors and is manufactured by BRITISH GASKETS,also available from GATES.Do you really want to take a chance on a second hand one?
bobtee
Hi Shoestring i think you could get that rebonded by any company that rebonds tyres onto fork lift truck wheels, its a very regular procedure for fork trucks and the quality obviously has to be of a high standard ,so i would imagine it should stand the strain .
Just a thought! Best regards Bob rolleyes.gif
onthecut
QUOTE (xm_on_a_shoestring @ Jan 11 2009, 12:14 PM)
Last Sunday(4th Jan), I was on my way to Lincoln (in 2.5TD estate) to drop my son off at UNI. I stopped to fill up with fuel, then continued my journey along A52 Derby-Notts. For those who know it, at Bramcote Island it developed a knocking noise which increased and decreased with engine revs. I pulled in at next roundabout witha shopping precinct opposite a Shell garage.
From observing it with bonnet up, the auxilliary belt kept starting and stopping. Recovery chap said it could be woodruff key or similar as the bottom pulley was just hanging in there on the belt and all out of line.
I got recovered then went in the 2.1 back to Lincoln no problems.
I took the pulley off this morning and enclose picture. It looks like it should be rubber bonded together between the outer and inner.
Does anyone have a spare or are they available from citroen.
I'm away till Wed at the least, so any suggestions replies I'll pick up after that.
A while back I kept getting a screeching noise on start up which disappeared once the car warmed up. I kept thinking this might have been the little tensioner wheel bearings drying out.
Before it broke down last week the screech had disappered for at least a fortnight. Now I know it wasn't the tensioner wheel after all.
From the pic, you'll see what remains of rubber were left.
shoestring

Hi Shoestring

In one way I wish I hadn't read your post, as I too have the screeching, but only at start up / low revs. I had been thinking it was an issue with the hydraulic pump, as it's pretty slow to pump up in the cold, but looks like I'd better make an exploration of the crank pulley. If it is giving out, might look at welding or brazing it solid if feasible. Certainly not something I would have thought of had I not read your post. The Forum scores yet again.

Mike.
steelcityuk
Seems to be a common fault on HDi's too. To keep a check paint a line right across the pulley if the line becomes broken the pulley is starting to go. I believe it's a crankshaft damper to increase the crankshafts durability.

Steve.
demag
I also have the traditional screech at startup occasionally. I put it down to the tensioner pulley starting to fail. It's in for service on Thursday and although its not booked to be done then, I will ask them to have a quick look in that area while its there.
kenhall1202
Owners of Mk2 XMs with the 2.1TD engine might be interested in this ebay offering

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...bayphotohosting

At £112 delivered it is pricey but cheaper than the £160 for the 0515.J9 part from your friendly Citroen dealer.

My 2.1TD crankhaft pulley has some surface flaking of the rubber bonding (heat and old age?) but otherwise appears sound.

Ken
Peter.N.
I have had this happen to me once in thirteen years and about 250,000 miles of XM ownership, and the car concerned had done about 250,000 miles at the time it happened, so I wouldn't say it was all that common.

It started as a vibration that then progressed to a knocking noise followed by loss of steering and an array of lights on the dashboard. Fortunatly the pulley had completely fallen apart and dissapeared, I say fortunatly because they have been known to go through the timing cover and wreak havoc with the cam belt.

I managed to get hold of a secondhand one but it was slightly different to mine in that it had a boss on the inside making it stand out to for from the crankshaft. I took it to a machine shop and they removed it for me, refitted it and never had any more trouble. Do beware that there is more than one type.

Peter.N.
Andmcit
Now I understand a little more about the 2.5TD's, what is the definitive reason for the aux
belt shredding in strips and snapping in very short order. Is it the tensioner or the actual
main crank that's thrown off line? And does the spring damper set up cause any issues?
The 2.1 my father is using has a bit of a chattering flutter on the tensioner at idle as the
small damper strut is well past it's sell by date...

I know there's been plenty mentioned on this forum before but there doesn't seem to be a
conclusive fix but I recall the correct belt length is critical on the AC?

Anyone want to pitch in any thoughts!!?

Andrew
xmexclusive
Hi Andrew

From the posting history it was the belt/tensioner that played up on the 2.5 and the rubber bonded drive wheel on the 2.1's. I was very happy with that until shoestring rocked the boat by mentioning that 2.5's also have a rubber bonded pulley and it can fail. Might well explain why some 2.5's still suffered belt problems even after the tensioner was repaired. Like on-the-cut I am really pleased that shoestring told us about his problems because the drive cog was not on my check list even on the estate with the shreeded belt.

John
Pages: 1, 2
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter