Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Cx Spheres

Club XM Forum > CX
Pages: 1, 2
citroenxm
.............................. ok then andrew, whats so bad about rear spheres? Are they NOT lieing down like BX, Xantia, XM units??

Im not put off easy... Ive been Citroen Driving since I was about 19.... and fixing them myself too

I still cant wait!

Rgds
Paul
Andmcit
They don't hang about with oodles of space like the Xm allowing easy (too easy as it all swings
about too freely straining the feed pipe?) access to the actual sphere. The subframe completely
surrounds the ram and the sphere braces against the end dome mounting in the same way as
the GS/GSA.

The safari one is even more cumbersome as the diameter is significantly bigger as is everything
else in the vicinity too. Brick outhouse Citroen engineering from the good'ol days. Actually, the
Safari sphere is the DS design of sphere...

I've been asked again earlier whether I want ANOTHER Cx and a red Activa...
the damn things just find me no matter how much I hide!! I'm getting those nervous twitches again...

Andrew
colinxm
Never had a CX, like the looks, the estate looks MASSIVE ! do I really want one ? will it really dissolve in front of my ever nagging wife's eyes ?

Comments appreciated, Colin.P
Andmcit
It IS massive. The Cx Safari is undoubtedly THE BEST ESTATE CAR EVER!!

There, I said it. I'm not biased, whatsoever! I know the company I am in here on the Club-Xm forum
and realise it's a provocative thing to say but will stand by this personally held view for ever.

The key indisputable fact, is the CX had it's wheelbase lengthened over the saloon to create a superb
stable platform from which to tow/carry/glide along with secure effortless and above all safe ease.
All the key load area is inside this long wide wheelbase which sadly wasn't adopted for it's successor.

Yes, they also rust quite well too. The key thing to accept here is that they do, so you buy the best
condition one you can find and have it properly protected. The Xm estate is squarer in it's back end
but has a shallower tailgate leaning it shortening real carrying length so it's even stevens depending
on what exactly you intend carting about in either. I own an XM estate 2.1TD manual s1 but would
more readily get one of my Cx estates up and running before getting the Xm working merrily once
more (oil leak on clutch...)

As I say, I may be just a tad bit biased here so not best to offer impartial advice! biggrin.gif

Andrew
Andmcit
Other noteworthy mentions on a Cx (any one) are the:

double wishbone front suspension,
centre point steering angle geometry,
Substantial front cross member design for great crash worthiness/protection,
DIRAVI 2.5 turns lock to lock self centering CENTREPOINT steering,

oh I could go on...

yes really. I could!

and just the way it looks!!!

AND THE WAY IT DRIVES!! ph34r.gif

Andrew
colinxm
Hmmmm, interesting... i got a mig welder and I'm not afraid to use it wink.gif

Colin.P
DoubleChevron
I'm not the slightest bit biased ... But the CX is better than an XM in everyway I can think of ..... It's so good it'll keep you toasty and warm without even needing to turn the heater on !

seeya,
Shane L.
citroenxm
QUOTE (colinxm @ Oct 25 2008, 23:25 PM)
Hmmmm, interesting... i got a mig welder and I'm not afraid to use it wink.gif

Colin.P

Im getting a MIG, and want to use it... Whats the point of having a tool, and not useing it...

I agree that the CX IS a massive estate, and knew years ago it was an extended platform.. the days when costs werent a factor and you could do what you wanted.. unlike now were manufactures have to use the same under pinnings on a range of models and you cant make a seperate model..... tongue.gif

Paul
DoubleChevron
Well if your looking for a good wagon .... A nice DS23 hydraulique woudl be bloody awesome cool.gif cool.gif DS's are MASSIVE in the back !

seeya,
Shane L.
Andmcit
Yep, you're right Shane!

I've only driven a D not owned one but am very impressed and in truth would really like one.
Problem here is their availability and cost are now beyond my budget and in truth I'm very
happily stuck here now in my CX comfort zone with enough cars/parts and experience on them
to hopefully see out my days.

For sure, I'd really love a saloon AND estate, an Sm, a H van, Ami and Traction... biggrin.gif

Andrew
dean
Colin, Paul,

Its all very well having mig's but you cant weld rust biggrin.gif and i hear those CX's will damn near fizz when it rains they rust so bad!!! But.................the more i see of them the more i want one, a mk2 though.............Its your fault Andrew!!!!!!! posting all those lovely pictures of CX's biggrin.gif

D
Andmcit
Post 82, and very much post 85, Citroen actually developed a new process to them, called
"rust prevention!" wink.gif laugh.gif

Agreed, it was still all a bit new fangled for them but they purposely held out til Xm production
to make a reasonable fist of things though regrettably it was not to be for the s2 Cx.

For real Alkaseltzer bodywork, sadly look no further than the totally fabulous Gs...

Andrew
Andmcit
BTW, I do have many many Cx pictures... biggrin.gif

Andrew
dean
Well i dont want to see them! i could do without the temptation biggrin.gif .
Mind you with the whole rust issue, although i cant stand rust in any quantity on cars if you bought one and spent a few days underneath rubbing down and going for some proper rust prevention measures (what citroen should have done in the first place) it should not be an issue...........so long as you can find one thats not full of holes to start with that is sad.gif
Did all CX's have the Dariva steering??

D
Andmcit
The VERY very early (1976 - yes that long ago!!) base 2.0 has a more basic steering system with
a pathetic 3 turns lock to lock and a bigger steering wheel to compensate for such a backwards
step! smile.gif All other models had the DIRAVI which has to be experienced to be loved or disliked
depending upon your driving style/expectations. I can trot out all the famous road tester quotes
of the day on this chapter and verse and very firmly believe there's no better system for relaxed
effortless all day long continent busting cruising!! biggrin.gif

S2 Cx SALOON's only tend to rust on their bootlids, on the rear outer os 1/4 panel under the filler
cap and on a badly thought out seam on the front footwells. If you live in a Council area where they
go silly with grit from October onwards there may be more seams on the inner sills to protect but
that really is it!

Cx estates have more challenging rust issues in the rear end particularly along their roof drip rails,
tailgate hinge and rear door jamb areas. Do the job/protection right the once and you'll have one|
of the best cars ever for a good while into the future!

Andrew
Pages: 1, 2
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter