Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Broke Down!

Club XM Forum > BX
Pages: 1, 2, 3
demag
Aargh!

Had the new BX on the road a few days and it broke down this afternoon. dry.gif

I was going to pick the missus up from my daughter's house when it started spluttering, then wouldn't rev. And of course I hadn't picked my mobile up! I managed to crawl to my son's house on tickover and left it there. It ticks over great and tries to rev but falters. I think its the primary main blocked but I'm open to suggestions.

Anyone?

It also started no problem straight onto tickover but just wouldn't rev. The tank is a bit low, just under a quarter but it is constant on the gauge and not wavering. There's an inline filter so tomorrow I can check if there's fuel there.

Thanks,

Dave.
Ken newbold
Start with the easiest first.

Check the distributor cap for wet and crap on the contacts.

Then the plug leads etc etc.

Good luck.
Andmcit
Shows what I know about Bx's really, but is TXS a petrol or diesel!!? laugh.gif

I have the very same problem with a Xantia VSX 1.9TD estate at the moment and am just about
all in with scrapping the blasted thing as nice as the rest of the car is! The prognosis says Mickey
Mouse fuel used by the previous owner was allowed to settle when the car was laid up for a long
period and the resultant rubbish that's been drawn through the pump (probably neat white spirit)
has now played havoc with the pump requiring removal for replacement or full rebuild.

The checks I've carried out as a guide for your predicament are:

• new fuel filter, checked all leak off/return pipes and renewed primer bulb etc
• opened up fuel tank and removed pick up sender and rubbish wood polish etc "fuel"
• run a direct feed from a can of the proper stuff straight to the pump bypassing
filter housing and associated pipework.

No dice, just about ticks over but there's nothing there unless I help the pump by priming the bulb
continuously. On another day, I'd say because the car's such a nice one, very handy and has all
the bells and whistles, it'd be worth fixing, the fact that there's absolutely no chance of vaguely
getting near the diesel pump until practically the whole engine bay is dismantled my enthusiasm
has waned somewhat!

Hope there's some pointers there but wonder if I've missed the point totally it being a petrol!!
Duff petrol, or water managing to get into the fuel then!!!!??? biggrin.gif

Andrew
demag
Andrew it is a rare limited edition valuable ( laugh.gif ) 1600 petrol. UK model for one year only apparently.
Andmcit
Doh! blink.gif

Missed the bit that said 1.6!! That'll learn me!! rolleyes.gif

Andrew
citroenxm
QUOTE (Andmcit @ Oct 7 2008, 19:21 PM)
Shows what I know about Bx's really, but is TXS a petrol or diesel!!? laugh.gif

I have the very same problem with a Xantia VSX 1.9TD estate at the moment and am just about
all in with scrapping the blasted thing as nice as the rest of the car is! The prognosis says Mickey
Mouse fuel used by the previous owner was allowed to settle when the car was laid up for a long
period and the resultant rubbish that's been drawn through the pump (probably neat white spirit)
has now played havoc with the pump requiring removal for replacement or full rebuild.

The checks I've carried out as a guide for your predicament are:

• new fuel filter, checked all leak off/return pipes and renewed primer bulb etc
• opened up fuel tank and removed pick up sender and rubbish wood polish etc "fuel"
• run a direct feed from a can of the proper stuff straight to the pump bypassing
filter housing and associated pipework.

No dice, just about ticks over but there's nothing there unless I help the pump by priming the bulb
continuously. On another day, I'd say because the car's such a nice one, very handy and has all
the bells and whistles, it'd be worth fixing, the fact that there's absolutely no chance of vaguely
getting near the diesel pump until practically the whole engine bay is dismantled my enthusiasm
has waned somewhat!

Hope there's some pointers there but wonder if I've missed the point totally it being a petrol!!
Duff petrol, or water managing to get into the fuel then!!!!??? biggrin.gif

Andrew

Andrew! DONT YOU DARE SCRAP A rare estate!!!

Have you tried a replacment pump on the car???

Id send you a pump if I had to, or have the car from you..... I've a customer for a TD Estate of some sort tongue.gif tongue.gif

Rgds
Paul
Andmcit
Paul.

As much as I detest diesels I'd happily drive it tomorrow if I could just get my head about
why I should take it all to pieces when it ran perfectly 6 months ago and hasn't been touched
or covered 10 feet since. You've seen the engine bay of a TD with AC bits'n pieces all wrapped
around everything!!? I'll see about dragging someone over to see it and act as interpreter
between me and it!! laugh.gif

And as far as I'm concerned diesel is all witchcraft and trickery; I'd rather fit a whole petrol
engine in the bodyshell than change the pump! I've got several replacement pumps and
seemingly they're ALL different (to one another too), and the one on the car doesn't appear
to be the expected one either; to be honest, I can't be bothered with all the hassle...

It's got a sunroof AND aircon, 115k miles, it's on an R plate but still late s1 and it's a gween wun
and it's ride is truly superb which is why I'd prefer it over the 2x SX estates I use as hacks.
I'll give you a shout before I scrap it but the Jury is out at the moment; find me an identical
TCT VSX estate and I'll do a swap and possibly chuck in other Xants as a bribe too!! biggrin.gif

Andrew
Roger Porter
Hi demag,

Do you ever use www.BXClub.co.uk? Usually lots of helpfull advice there although 16s seem to be in the minority! smile.gif
I drive a J reg. 16Auto and love it; comfortable, relaxed, reasonably economic and just that little bit different. It does have an enduring carb/ignition problem - a hesitancy cruising at 2-2,500rpm - but i'm ok to live with it at present

Roger - who didn't know we had a BX section on the XM forum ohmy.gif
DoubleChevron
Gee's guys...

Will idle .... But not rev ... Let me guess, if you snap the accellerator flat to the floor, it'll die off then rev out. It'll just be the primary jet on the carby is blocked. We once had a POS BX carby 1.6 (god it was horrid laugh.gif ... slugomatic too --where's the vomit smiley) .... It would constantly block the carbies jets up. Quite often it was driven home on the 2nd choke on the carby as the primary jets had blocked up.

Getcha self a nice big fuel injection metal canister fuel filter and fit that (don't bother with the cr@p little plastic filters), check to ensure the crankcase recirculation isn't burning up the foam air cleaner, which is breaking up and being sucked through the carby..... etc....

seeya,
Shane L.
demag
Thanks lads.

Shane I didn't realise the filter was sponge, I thought it was carbon.

Well you live and learn will check it out tomorrow.
Roger Porter
the foam air cleaner

AFAIK BX air filters are that papery stuff ... least mine is

Roger
demag
I think Shane is talking about the canister on the front of the engine Roger. Shane..............Shane? tongue.gif

Well I went over there today and attempted to take the top off the carb. It is virtually impossible because of the poxy design. To take the top off, I might as well strip the whole lot and overhaul it! mad.gif . Its well suited to a Citroen actually, French and very complicated!

As time was at a premium I ended up blasting carb cleaner through all the visible jets and revving the nuts off it to get it to run. Anyway a couple of good points here. No visible smoke from the exhaust so I'm assuming the engine is reasonably sound and when I did my very kewl boy racer imitation the obstruction must luckily have got sucked through and it drove ok. I eventually washed my hands and had a nice cuppa while my son showed me his amazing passion fruit that he's growing along the back garden fence. I then drove at my usual moderate pace back home where the BX is now residing on the drive in shame. laugh.gif One thing I noticed in all of this was the performance which is quite impressive, especially when the second choke opens. smile.gif
bigjohnh
Demaq,

My mates rated the BX 1.4 as a bit of a street sleeper when we were young a few (ahem) years ago when we were all in our late teens. So the 1.6 must really fly.

This was when Ford XR3i's and the likes were current fare, so that ages me a bit.

John
citroenxm
I thought the 16 TZS Carb manual I had was a Fart.... however, the GTi injection 8v didn't half shift - that was good but expensive to feed... so had to settle with a TZD Turbo.. which was PERFECT!

Rgds
Paul
demag
Yes supposedly TZD is definitely the pick of the bunch. I was originally looking for one but when fuel went sky high decided on petrol to complement the Xm.
Pages: 1, 2, 3
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter