Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Reference Numbers For Xm's

Club XM Forum > XM General Issues
Pages: 1, 2
xmexclusive
Hi all,

I have been very interested to see that Noz can look up build date from the RPN. Can the source data be published or do we need to ask individually for each vehicle.

regards

xmec
xmexclusive
Hi Noz

I forgot to ask. Was your XM that stood in a field for a year or so left behind the factory while they forgot that it was built with the oil in the water problem.

regards

xmec
noz
Hi xmec,

You can find the manufacturing date of your car here:
http://club-xm.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=252

Not sure of the history of the car at all. I bought it on e-bay and collected it from Bristol. Don't know much more than that. The one which stood in the field - tell me more. You've got me interested now. BTW the problem turned out to be the oil cooler after all. However, I'd overhauled the engine completely before I found the source of the oil. :-(

Cheers

noz cool.gif
xmexclusive
Hi Noz and all

Thanks for pointing me to the bit of the web site that gives the link to the RPN calculator.

I have found the results very interesting.

I have found out that my 4 XM's with a spread of registrations from M to P were actually all built inside a 5 month period. Registration dates vary between March 1995 and August 1996. Build dates between Feb 1995 and July 1995.

From this I have deduced that one of my XM's stood in a field outside the factory or at best on a dealers forcourt for over a year.

From my sample this "high quality" storage seems to afflict 2.5 Td estates, but then the sample was 50% 2.5 estates.

The 3.0 car was registered within a month of building.
The 2.5 car was registered within 3 months of building.
One of the 2.5 estates took nearly 5 months from building to registration.
The other 2.5 estate took nearly a month over a year to get preregistered by a dealer while still waiting another 2 months to be sold.

I think it was a comment by Noz that his P reg 2.5 had a lower RPN than the N reg that started me checking these facts but now I cannot find a reference to this on the web site.

Regards

XMexec
noz
Hi XMexec,

It would be interesting to know the difference between manufacture date and date of first registration for all members. Some of these cars may have lain in a field for a couple of years before being sold.

The thread started here:
http://club-xm.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=303

Cheers

Norrie
DerekW
Hi everyone,

Interesting that xmexclusive's 3.0 V6 was registered within a month of building.

My V6 Exclusive has RP number 8362 which puts its manufacturing date as 1st October 1999. Its date of first registration was 22nd October 1999 - hardly time for them to ship it across from France.
Odd that they both moved so quickly as that model was supposed to have been hated by dealers because they sat around in the showroom for ages.
noz
Hi Derek,

There's a big difference between those cars built speculatively and those built to order. Although rare, there must have been some people who actually liked the XM enough to pick one out of a brochure and order it. If it was of sufficiently high or odd spec (colour for example) then there may have been no speculative units built. In which case the car is built, shipped and registered in the UK in a very short time.

Cheers

noz cool.gif
carliterature
My V6 Exclusive must have had an unloved early life then!! It was built on 1 December according to the RPN yet registered mid-May 1999. I'd be surprised if such a model would have been a speculative build (it's metallic cherry red - forget the Citroen name for the shade) and I don't personally recall seeing one that colour (apart from in the brochure). I'd be surprised if a dealer ordered it as a demo either... I'm guessing, as it's been also specced with an electric sunroof (not standard as far as I know at the time) it was deliberately ordered by a customer who changed their mind so it sat wherever until someone else came along.
noz
Hi carliterature,

Sounds eminently plausible although who would choose 'cherry red'? Then again, maybe thats why it was cancelled. The bloke sobered up and thought.... God, what was I thinking of...?

Cheers

noz cool.gif

ps
apologies if the first owner is reading this - only joking - I like red wink.gif no really wink.gif
carliterature
Sounds eminently plausible although who would choose 'cherry red'? Then again, maybe thats why it was cancelled. The bloke sobered up and thought.... God, what was I thinking of...?

laugh.gif Indeed! Certainly wouldn't have been my first choice (black ideally) but to be honest the car was more important to me than the colour... I'd have to have turned it down though if it was white... ph34r.gif

Actually, it doesn't look at all bad - my old man's Rover 75 is a very similar shade and they look quite classy together.
xmexclusive
Hi all and Noz

yesterday I passed an Xantia N520RAC so I guess the preregistered block was 999 vehicles not the 500 I suggested.

In trying to sort out the suspension struts today I found that I did not know when the Citroen Model Year starts and finishes. Anyone help. More specifically Noz any chance of a look at the Model change information from the front of the Mk1 workshop manual and strut/suspension pages.

Regards

XMexc
horrid1
QUOTE (carliterature @ Jun 14 2005, 22:33 PM)

blink.gif laugh.gif I have just purchased a MAROON XM V6 .Could almost be called "Cherry red". It is not running right, very rough when cold and burning heaps of fuel,about 19.5 litres per 100kms. I suspect the HT cables are not 100% and will probably replace them. Right now I am not sure in what order I should fit them back in the distributor!!Will somebody please tell me what is the sequence from top down on the distributor? I have a Haynes manual but it does not cover the V6 motor.The reference number on the A pillar is 5127. Thanks Ernie horrid1
xmexclusive
Hi Horrid1 and all

I have had a look under the bonnet of the 3.0 XM 12v.
The distributor on mine has the red ignition leads labled on the black plastic housing as follows from top down:- B321654
The leads are connected as follows:- B goes to the coil, 1 is on the front V cylinder nearest the black plastic housing referred to above. 1, 2 & 3 run in sequence acroos the front row of cylinders, so that 3 is nearest the Radiator header tank.
Lead 4 goes to the back row of cylinders nearest the black plastic housing end. 4, 5 & 6 run in sequence across the back cylinders, so that 6 is nearest the radiator header tank.
Org Number of the vehicle I checked is 6675

Hope this is of help

Regards

XMexc
horrid1
cool.gif Hi, XMexc, and others,
Thanks for your prompt reply! I have the same black superficial cover with the same markings and I see that all the numbers are cast into the block (ie. 1,2 ,3 etc.).
The distributor cap itself has seven outlets with the centre one being for the lead to the coil. I need to know the numbering for the other six outlets. I have replaced the leads as I found them, and the car is running very rough but smoothes out with a few revs. I am wondering if perhaps a couple of the leads could be in the wrong places!! I had a V8 Frord that would run with leads transposed, but I don't know about a V6 motor.
I have checked the resistance of the leads and find a couple with extra high resistance so I think they may be at fault and will look at replacing them, Thanks for your help so far, Ernie.
xmexclusive
Hi ernie

Have now opened the black cover to the leads to look for the information that you asked for.
Cover is marked: Bosch 1230 591 039
The leads working up from the radiator end towards the windscreen come from:
2, 4, 5, B, 3, 1, 6.
Sorry not to get the full information first time.
If you need to look at one to check then if you are anywhere close to me (Hampshire) then please email me to arrange.

Regards

XMexc
Pages: 1, 2
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2022 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter