Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version C5, C6, Gasp !

Club XM Forum > Anything goes chat
Pages: 1, 2, 3
onthecut
Hi all.

Just been to local dealer for one or two odds and sods. Neighbour asked if I'd check on the special tank fluid etc. for a 2.2 C5 Hdi. With vat, it's pushing £85. The big sting though comes with the particulate device. Apparently there is a £500 + surcharge. Easy you think ---- I'll take the old unit in with me when I get the new one. Not good enough ! Surcharge only refundable when the unit has been returned to whereever and they pronounce themselves satisfied -- and that has to include correct packing. So --- if you don't make the cut, that's 85 for the fluid, 160 ish for the filter, 600 (don't forget the VAT) surcharge. The wrong side of £800 for just one part of a 50k service. No thanks. I think it kind of puts the debate about the cost of XM auto boxes into perspective.
Quick word with the salesman while I was there. Guess what they haven't sold any of --- a.) C6 b.) C6 or c.) C6. Take your time, answers on a postcard.

Mike.
Ciaran
On the subject of stealers and C6s, last time I went down for some XM parts (GSF was shut for some reason), the girl at the desk told me they'd managed to sell one C6!
I was pleased (that's at least one in the country for me to buy when its worth 50 quid), but I wonder if that number has increased any in the two months that have passed.

It was quite an amusing trip actually.... one of the sales men saw me and Caoimhé nosing around the C6 (she was putting her doll in the passenger seat rolleyes.gif ), and dispatched his best 16 year old apprentice to deal. Now I'm young and thats saying something, but this guy had to be about 4 years younger than me!
That's why it was so amusing when I said "I have an XM" and a look of mixed disgust and bewilderment came over his face. Suffice to say I don't think hes ever seen one.

Oddly, they did have a very nice wee 2CV in there for sale too, I have a pic of it somewhere, will hoke it out when I get home.

Got even more perplexed stares from mechanics and other salesmen as I pointed my 1980s spaceship out of their carpark and in the direction of home too. I love these cars.
citroenxm
Apparently about 4 - 6 (not sure how many) have been sold in Glasgow area!

I've seen a Black one in N WALES too!

Our dealer has a silver Hdi (I think) but its not cheapeither.

Regards
citroenxm
Ciaran
Funny, this is the HDI at our dealer:

user posted image

user posted image

Dash isn't bad, if a bit.... conventional. Steering wheel looks a bit too big or something though, its odd...
user posted image

Glad to see the old parking brake handle is still there.... bit of an odd place to put it though...
user posted image

They also had this little gem, a bit unusual to see in a showroom surrounded by brand new cars, nice to see one in this good condition:
user posted image

user posted image
onthecut
Hi Ciaran.

Ironic really --- the 2CV is vastly more saleable than the C6 ! At my local place there is clearly absolutely zero belief in the model, with no one conveying the slightest enthusiasm or making the slightest effort to shift them. It is beyond me why Citroen have bothered with a RHD version at all if there is to be no promotion and no boot up the dealers' backsides to move the metal.

Mike.
Ciaran
Hi Mike,

How right you are.
I was in that same dealership a few months previous, early one Saturday morning.

I spent a good 15 minutes intensively looking around the C6 which was parked outside in front of the showroom, and glancing in at the squad of sales men, who were sat inside at the customer couch / coffee area, watching kid's TV.
Not one of them gave the slightest indication that they were entertaining the possibility of coming outside, and speaking to the person who was actually voluntarily showing an interest in this 40k unsellable car.

I have no hope of affording a C6, but that's not the point at all. I really could not believe how apathetic they were, but is it really any surprise when Citroen themselves have said "It will sell itself", and that dealers don't have to stock it unless they want to... WTF is that about?!
I have to say, I too do wonder why they bothered their asses making an RHD one at all. I have yet to see one advert for it, not one. No TV, no billboards, no newspapers, no placement in shopping malls. But yet they're never done showing off the C1,2,3,4 (5 is also strangely neglected)and Picasso, I just don't get it.

Perhaps that is a different story over in the UK, I don't know, but they really appear to be making no effort at all here with it.

Ironically, that original C6 I looked around that morning was the one that had been sold by the time I visited it again. I wonder how many they've shifted since.

That said, I don't ever recall seeing an XM advert, ever, and the C6 is similarly more expensive than the top XM than the XM was to the CX when it launched.... so maybe we've got it wrong....
Andmcit
Seen quite a few newspaper ads - all very smart though most in B&W but I do recall a very
nice coloured one looking very stylish in the Times colour supplement - "Haute Voiture"
... and a full 3-4 full colour advertorial in the Telegraph magazine - nice bit of ad copy too.

Asked for a brochure on Citroens' web site and regularly get slick mailers/letters to remind
me I once thought about a C6! These aren't going to sell privately, and likely will only move
when a company buyer requests one to brought over to the their address for appraisal
during office hours when everyone else it at the 'coal face' earning their keep!!

There's a black one skulks about 'round these parts and it does stop people in their tracks,
though I'd expect to see one of these blatting from Inverness to Plymouth in the outside lane
of our crumbed motorway network, a place I don't frequent as much as I used to!!

My sister has just gone and bought a 6k mile C4 from a Cit garage in Chelmsford and their
grey/blue C6 was very keenly 'sold' to my father who was present in his XM 2.0i CT turbo.
Thing is, before she bought a C4 we didn't see many although we wanted to see what they
looked like on the road. In the months after the purchase I've seen more and more around.
Now this MAY be down to their being transparent/invisible in the background noise until I've
actually started looking for them, but my sister has noticed her car's "exclusivity" waning as
more and more are seen on the roads; how long has the C4 been out...!?

I think the "browbeaten", taxed til the pips have squeaked a long time ago, motorist wants to
stretch his money so the stupid depreciation needs to be bypassed before a 6k mile one is
bought - problem with the C6 is the fact they're not getting bought to become secondhand!!
Possibly they are and they're piling on the miles before being punted out on the Cit dealers
forecourt!?

I had a long chat at a an 'old hand' Cit dealer in Nuneaton not long after the C6 was launched
and whilst he was laden with literature for it he had no intention of having one in his showroom.
Cit UK HQ actually want to charge him about £2k (didn't clarify if this is deposit/rent!!) to have
it on the showroom floor and it was an overhead he said they couldn't justify. He said he could
sell C3/C4's ALL DAY LONG and every one in the showroom was sold although still on display.
He did however say that he would EASILY shift a stackload of 'used' C6's with a knock off the
price and negligible mileage to genuine/regular buyers and many had lodged a request for
first 'dabs' at the first one to enter his hands...

Who knows where the C6 actually stands though the press and TOPGEAR etc love it!!

I want one, in a nice metallic triton green! Don't have a spare 30k though; never mind,
an XM 24v V6 and a Cx GTi T2 will have to be substitutes...

Andrew
noz
About 3 months ago I was stuck in a triffic jam in Inverness (they have traffic jams there too) going along Harbour Road where the motor mile is. And lo and behold there's a C6 sitting with its nose out almost on the road in Arnold Clark's. Having nothing better to do I went in, parked the XM next to it and got out to have a nose around. I poked and prodded for about 10 minutes and no-one showed the slightest interest in me. I went into the showroom and waited another 10 minutes at one of the salesman's desks. I eventually got one to talk to me. I asked him for a test drive. No problem he said then spent 15 minutes looking for the key. They spent so long farting around all I got was a 15 minute spin around the block before they closed.

It is deceptively fast. I can't explain it. It was the 2.7HDi so I expected more of that lovely torque feeling you get in the back of your seat in the 2.5TD XM. I put the foot down on the A9 and was disappointed with the response of the auto box. There was no feeling of push in the back of the seat. Then I looked at the speedo and I was doing the ton. How can that be?

I didn't have time to experiment with the paddle changer and stuck with the auto ( no true manual option available). I hate auto's at the best of times but this one is even worse. I have never been able to comprehend why the auto box is designed to rev it's head off for even the most modest acceleration request. I can travel 160 miles up to Inverness on the A9 (which I do every week) in the XM 2.5TD and change out of 5th gear twice, once at the Dunblane roundabout and once at the Perth roundabout. At all other times there's so much torque available in fifth that I never need to change down. To overtake you just gently push the loud button and it gets louder !! What's all that revving about in an auto? especially a 300HP(or whatever) auto. Not exactly a lack of power? Apparently it shares the box with one of the Jags. It must be a pain too.

It has that lane changer feature thingy. There are two vibrating motors one under each buttock. If you cross the white line left to right the right buttock gets the treatment. If crossing right to left the left buttock gets it. It took me 10 seconds to ask the guy how to switch the damn thing off. How intensely irritating. If you need to be warned about crossing a white line you should not be behind the wheel of a vehicle. The last thing I need is to be woken up when I'm driving rolleyes.gif

The heads up display is as good as the first one which appeared in the Tornado some 40 years ago (my dad's college mate designed it for the Tornado) with a crucial exception. It only shows the speed and nothing else. If I'd had my way it would have looked like a Tornado and shown every parameter including the location of the enemy with their hairdryers.

I can't wait til I get mine at 3 years old for a grand.

cheers

noz
Ciaran
I was thinking of asking for a test drive the last time I was down, but I don't think they'd take me seriously. At 24 years old, and looking about 16, its pretty obvious I dont have the resources to buy a C6 biggrin.gif
wirdy
I had 20 mins looking around one at a dealer in York. Conclusion was that I don't like the styling. It's not quirky, it's just unappealing.

Much like the late Ford Scorpio IMHO - nice comfy ride, all the super toys and lovely & comfy inside, but embarrassing to have this frog-eyed monstrosity parked on your drive.

I'm firmly of the opinion that any car you drive & enjoy must be able to make you glance back over your shoulder as you walk away from it and make you feel happy. If not, I use this rule to tell myself it's time to buy another car.

P.S - I read that the C6 HUD could display more than just speed?
Ciaran
QUOTE (wirdy @ Jan 11 2007, 23:17 PM)
I'm firmly of the opinion that any car you drive & enjoy must be able to make you glance back over your shoulder as you walk away from it and make you feel happy.

Know what you mean, wirdy. Most mornings I glance at the car just as I walk out of the work carpark, and it still puts a smile of contentment on my face, especially if its been behaving smile.gif
xmexclusive
HI All

A while ago we had a few posts on the site trying to understand why a good number of early UK Mk2 XM's were first registered anything up to 2 years after the build date indicated by the ORG No. It was eventually concluded that Citroen over produced them then had them stood around at factory/dealers until they finally registered them and then sold them off as pre owned cars with just the delivery/demontrator mileage.
So is there now a field behind the C6 factory that is filling up with over produced right hand drive C6's?

Regards

XMexc
Ciaran
Heres hoping.
You know, we may well find them becoming more available / affordable yet in the not so distant future....
mark
Hi All,

When the C6 first came out a few months ago I looked at petrol model "hidden" in the car park of the Edinburgh Citroen dealer. No sales persons batted in eyelid in the 10 mins I had a close look at it. Apart from having to purchase an auto gear selector cable I've managed to keep out out of Citroen dealers during my last four years of XM ownership and did not plan on starting then.

I've seen one on the road last week in Kincardine, Fife - black hdi - looked great.

If money was no object I'd order one tomorrow with as much spec as I could possibly get.

I think the XM still looks amazing with the C6 not far behind.

Here's to buying C6's as cheap as possible ASAP.

Cheers,

Mark.

Andmcit
Just done 250miles today, motorways all the way, and was actually amazed at the number of C5's
I noticed (actually saw fewer C4's huh.gif ). Wasn't counting exactly, but getting into double figures;
not bad considering the roads were quite quiet! Does this suggest they're run by private owners
rather than ploughing up and down motorways during office hours as a repmobile?

Not my thing mind, but interestng to see, all the same. No C6's although saw a VW Phaeton & Audi
A8. No other exotics such as an XM, or Cx... sad.gif

Andrew
Pages: 1, 2, 3
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter