Powered by Invision Power Board

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register ) Resend Validation Email

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Messages For Open Tailgate And Open Bonnet?, - Should there be such things?
Paberg
Posted: September 26, 2008 04:08 pm

Group: Members
Member No.: 1368

Hello XM-owners!
I´m a new XM-owner since a month, but I have driven CX for the last 14 years so I feel quite familiar with the Citroën philosophy. Thougth it was time to try something else to ride in...
I have noticed that the XM (it´s a 1993 Break V6) tells me in the infopanel at the left side of the steering-wheel if any of the doors are open. That did the CX also do, but with small red lights in the dashboard instead of a text display. But the CX also used to warn me for open bonnet and open tailgate. That´s not the case on my XM, there are no such warnings when they are open.
Now my question: should there be such warnings on the XM?
In that case, what could be the problem when they are not working? Some seized contacts somewhere...?

This post has been edited by Paberg on September 26, 2008 04:15 pm
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
David Hallworth
Posted: September 26, 2008 05:16 pm

Member No.: 130

The Xm should also warn when the tailgate and the bonnet are open.

If you remove the nosecone you will see the switches there. On my Series 1 one of the switches was broken so it was constantly telling the screen it was open, a cable tie over the switch soon solved that. So it might be something similar causing your problems.

D

--------------------
1990 V6 SEi Auto - breaking for spares.
1991 V6 SEi Manual - Running - Sold.
1991 V6 24v Manual - Runs but not on the road.
1992 V6 24v Manual - Runs :-)
1996 V6 Xantia Exclusive 58k Miles - Soon to be For Sale.
1996 V6 Xantia Exclusive Breaking for Spares.
1998 V6 24v Exclusive - Runs :-)
1998 Xantia Activa - Runs :-)
PMEmail Poster
Paberg
Posted: September 27, 2008 03:24 pm

- When I look closely on it, I see a small microswitch mounted on each bonnet lock, is must be those switches.
- And for the tailgate i suppose it is integrated in the lock someway, like on the CX.
Thanks for your answer David, I´ll check them some day, now I know where they are!
xmexclusive
Posted: September 27, 2008 03:57 pm

Andre's Mate

Member No.: 144

Hi Paberg

The XM car tailgate has a large micro switch screwed to the lock case. I think these locks are XM specific.

The XM Estate (Break) has a small black plastic microswitch that clips to the side of the tailgate lock case. These Estate ones often fall off when the fixing clip gets broken. They can be glued back in place with Araldite. Just for information anyone searching scrapyards for a spare this same lock assembly is fitted to Xantia Car boot lids.

John

--------------------
An interest in 2.5TD's.
PMEmail Poster
Paberg
Posted: September 27, 2008 05:10 pm

Silly question maybye, but as being Swedish I am not familiar with all the english words for different carparts...: huh.gif
- The "lock case", is it the box with the mechanism for the lock that´s inside the tailgate?

(The switch isn´t this one, is it? That´s just a damper or...?)
user posted image

This post has been edited by Paberg on September 27, 2008 05:12 pm
xmexclusive
Posted: September 27, 2008 05:45 pm

Andre's Mate

Member No.: 144

I have had another look at the Estate and need to change the description. The micro switch is clipped on the side of the lock claw positioned at the centre bottom of the tailgate. This lock claw holds the tailgate down when closed onto a metal loop that is bolted to the back edge of the floor of the Estate boot. You will need to remove the lower piece of internal trim of the tailgate to see the microswitch which is fixed on the inside of the lock claw frame (passenger side of frame on your LHD). You should also check that the 2 bolts that fix the lock claw frame to the tailgate are tight. The often become loose on estates and this can cause the claw to fail to lock properly and so give the "boot open" error message. If you have a copy of Haynes photo 14.19 shows the lock claw fixed to the tailgate.

You are right your photo is of one of the two tailgate spring dampers. Sorry not micro switches there.

John

This post has been edited by xmexclusive on September 27, 2008 05:47 pm

--------------------
An interest in 2.5TD's.
PMEmail Poster
dean
Posted: September 27, 2008 07:28 pm

Andre's Mate

Member No.: 852

Hi all

cant help im afraid Paberg but i dont have the dot matrix i have the illuminated outline of the car that lights the tail lights to test and little red lines to symbolise the doors being open which all work fine, the display itself has bulbs in for the bonnet and tailgate but i dont have the little microswitches on the bonnet catches and it doesnt light up when the boot is open!?!?!? so why would cit fit this lower spec display and only make half of it work? unsure.gif wacko.gif

D

--------------------
92 xm 20i prestige auto (modified)R.P 5678
96 Xantia Activa (modified)
location-Isle of wight
PMEmail Poster
Paberg
Posted: September 28, 2008 12:20 pm

Ok, found pictures in Haynes.
Tailgate lock: user posted image
Bonnet lock: user posted image
On both I can see the microswitces. So now I know where they switches are! Just have to fix them. wink.gif
Thanks!

This post has been edited by Paberg on September 28, 2008 12:20 pm
Paberg
Posted: September 28, 2008 08:14 pm

Removed the inside panel on the tailgate and pulled out the microswitch: user posted image
Cleaned the switch with Oxide Clean and rinsing/cleaning spray three times. user posted image

And now - it´s working! biggrin.gif user posted image
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Skin arobase par alphega @ PCentraide 2005 (original)
V1.3 par Elianora la blanche @ La Caverne de la Rose pourpre