Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Oil Filter Size 2.5td

Club XM Forum > Late 3.0L V6 24V and 2.5TD models
Gav
the need for an oil change has come around yet again (6000 miles does not take long) and it occurred to me how small the filter is on an engine which takes over 8 litres of oil.

the filter recommended in halfords, to my knowledge the same as recommended by GSF, etc is only about 3" long. BUT i am sure i have seen pictures of other cars with the 2.5td engine with much longer filters.

what size do you all fit? any comments on whether it is advantageous to fit a bigger on for cooling or cleaning or pressur drop, etc??
Peter.N.
I think that the 2.5 is the only one that doesn't uses the standard XUD filter. My 2.1 holds about six litres and uses the xud filter which is quite small, but I change my oil every 5k, its easier to remember!

Peter.N.
Little&Large
Hi
I have just done an oil change on mine,with a filter from GSF.The one on the car was half the size of the replacement one.The larger one is apparently correct and GSF are one of the few suppliers outside Citroen to supply the correct one.I would think that the larger size will be more efficient and beneficial in all areas,not least that it is the correct one!
Regards Rob
xmexclusive
Hi Gav

When I first got a 2.5TD I wanted to do an oil change. I went to the local Halfords and sure enough their catalogue gave the same filter as fitted to a 2.1TD. When I compared it with the cars filter the new one was half the size so I rejected it and went to GSF. GSF sold me a large filter and said that this was the one for a V6 and 2.5 XM's, so did the packaging. The actual filter was a PURFLUX LS520C. That was a few years ago. The last time I obtained a 2.5 oil filter from GSF they provided a slightly smaller filter, a PURFLUX LS880A. As the packaging specified a 2.5TD and V6 I eventually accepted that filter design had improved and got a little smaller.
For the completeness the 2.1 oil filter is a PURFLUX LS 867B and this is a very small filter unsuited to the oil volume of the larger engines even though it has the same screw thread and would physically fit.

Regards

XMexc
mebedforduk
Arrr and mmmm

My GSF supplied me with a shorter (same as 2.1) filter saying they no longer do the long one, besides it can now do the same job - improvements and all that

Best look to change it then
noz
Hi all,

The oil filter I fit to my 2.5TD's is the following:

Fram PH4826

Its the tall one, approx 150mm.

They are widely available at most accessory shops or motor factors.

Cheers

noz cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter