Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Anti Sink

Club XM Forum > Hydraulics Issues
Gav
i have recently replaced all four strut spheres and the rear anti-sink sphere with new units and i am currently mid hydraflush -waiting for a bit more mileage before putting LHM back. the original reason for doing these jobs was to improve the ride as it was very harsh on speed bumps, pot holes, etc. The ride now is a huge improvement.

BUT, what i am noticing now is a much more sudden drop of the car when starting the engine after leaving the car for a few hours. the car does stay at the correct level even overnight, and then drops when ignition is turned on before returning to correct height after a minute or so.

is this as a common result of running with hydraflush? once lhm is in the system should this dissappear, or does it suggest a leak somewhere? with 160k mileage i am guessing the answer but...
noz
Hi Gav,

When you turn the ignition on in the morning the first thing which happens is that the electrovalve(s) open and connect the centre spere(s) to the axles. Normally the centre sphere would be the same pressure as the rest of the system because it was the same pressure as it was when you parked it the night before. However, it sounds as if you have a leak from the front electrovalve back to the LHM reservoir. During the night the fluid leaks out of that sphere and the pressure falls. When the ignition is turned on in the morning the stored pressure in the other two spheres suddenly rushes into the (empty) centre sphere and the average pressure (of all 3 spheres) decreases rapidly, thus the front of the car falls. The running engine then refills the system and it rises again.

So my conclusion is that your electrovalve is leaking back to the tank.

I've heard of people taking their electrovalves to bits. Although I've removed the solenoid before I've never taken the main body to bits. Its probably readily serviceable but you'd need to get it off the car and on to a bench to find out. Alternatively change the electrovalve for a second hand one.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

noz cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter