Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Al4 Gearbox Information

Club XM Forum > Late 3.0L V6 24V and 2.5TD models
johnm52
I hope this information may be of use in explaining the Al4 gearbox
noz
Hi John,

Can you tell me which version of Acrobat you used to create the file? If its above version 6 could I ask a favour and have it saved down to a lower version? I'm afraid I only have version 6.

Cheers

noz cool.gif
Masterclock
Forgive my ignorance, but which models of Xm were fitted with the AL4 box?

I was only aware of the 4HP18, fitted to the early V6's and the 4HP20 fitted to the late ES9J4 (60 deg) V6.

Its obviously an auto-adaptive box, but I thought that the 4HP20 was the only one used on the XMs,. Or is it a series 1 or 1.5 box?

Ian
David Hallworth
i am pretty sure this is the same gearbox as is in my new V6 Xantia.

David.
johnm52
Hi Noz

Acrobat reader 7.0.7 is the current version, I only have reader not the full version. In addition it was created using a demo version of FinePrint PDF Factory - as each page proudly proclaims.

Agreed, this is the Xantia AL4 box, I don't know what differences there are between that and the 4HP20 but...

"2.0i 16V 143 bhp DIN
Among the petrol engines available with the Citroën C5, a new 2-litre 16-valve model (the EW10A) is launched in the middle of the range.
This 2-litre 16-valve engine develops 103 kW EEC (143 bhp DIN) and torque of 200 Nm at 4,000 rpm. The top end of the engine features variable valve timing (VVT).Making its debut on the Citroën C5, this engine is coupled with the five-speed manual BE gearbox, or the four-speed auto-active sequentially controlled AL4 type gearbox. This powertrain meets the Euro IV emission standard."

compare with

"Automatic gearbox with sequential control

The engines are coupled with a 4HP20 automatic gearbox. This gearbox is manufactured by ZF and can accept an input torque up to 330 Nm. In addition to a fully automatic mode, this gearbox also offers manual sequential mode.

Manual or sequential mode : In this mode, automatic gear change is disabled and the driver can change at will through the ratios between first and fourth gear, subject to a number of safety overrides including the following :

changing up a gear below 1,100 rpm is prohibited to avoid engine stalling. Similarly, changing up a gear is not permitted when the engine speed is too low ;
protection is provided against overheating ;
changing to a lower gear during sudden acceleration, for example when overtaking. "

The above found on the web are description of the C5 and it appears that they don't know the difference either since one refers to AL4 and the other to 4HP20.

Another Cit puzzle?........

and another reference on the Peugeot website for service intervals gives:

Levels Check & Top-Up
- Power Steering Fluid
- Battery (excl. low maintenance)- Manual Gearbox (not GT1 6)
- Screenwash
- Cooling System
- Automatic Gearbox Fluid (AL4/4HP20)

where the two are lumped together.

Is there any difference?

JohnM
mackay1
Re: Acrobat

I'm using Win 98SE (sadly) on this PC and the file works OK using the latest Win 98SE version of Acrobat - 6.0.5.

(The update to version 6.0.2 needs to be done manually the rest work OK with the automatic update detection thing).

I hope this helps.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter