Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Late V6 24, Into Series One.

Club XM Forum > Late 3.0L V6 24V and 2.5TD models
citroenxm
Hi ALL

Just a thought, although a HDi XM sounds a good project, I'm also thinking the following too.

When my Auto box packs up which I guess it will at some point as it snatches badly into 4th and they do tend to give up, what sort of a job would a LATE 24v V6 (from a Xantia I guess it would have to be as there are more around) slot into the S1 body... Wouldn't have thought there would be much difference at all as the car is already set up for V6.. I would obviously change Cam belts before fitting it..

Does any one know if the Autoadaptive boxes use the same Drive shafts as the OLD auto boxes??

Your kind thoughts on this.. Possible / Not possible .. I just much prefer the Series 1.5 Dash and everything else. I think the Series one had a better spec then the Series Two.

Look forward to replies..

Kind regards
citroenxm
DerekW
Just a first thought. The exhaust system is different, only obtainable from Citroen, and very expensive (£700 for centre section and rear silencer).

I'll have a look at the spares microfiche to see if I can come up with the info on the driveshafts.

If you are looking for a source, don't forget the Pug 406 also had a V6 alternative.

I dunno, the Series 1 certainly had a more robust window mechanism but I can't think of anything else that was better? (Personally, I love the little pop-down coathooks in the roof, but where are the cupholders?)

Derek
citroenxm
Surley Derek...

The DOT matirx displays are rock solid too.... S2 models are always breaking down.. So thats 2 - 0 to Series one..

Oh, and Series 1.5 also have the Bolted earth points ah la series 2..

Electric Arm rest prehaps another creature comfort thats rare on S2 cars...

Regards
citroenxm
DerekW
Sorry CitroenXM, I must have been in gormless mode when I promised to look up the info on driveshafts - I've only got the Series 2 microfiche.

So far my two dot matrix displays are perfect, it may help that it lives in a heated garage (shares it with the C.H.boiler). If we're talking specs as opposed to robustness I would include the heated seats front and rear with three levels of heating, dipping nearside mirror, 6 stack CD, four airbags, pretensioned seatbelts, cruise control, heated washer jets and, yes, electric armrest - the list goes on and on. Looked at another way, it's just a lot more things to go wrong and upset the robustness.

Derek
Masterclock
Never say never, but...

I doubt the drive shafts would be the same as the gearbox is completely different. The autoadaptive 4HP20 has a different design of diff housing that allows the driveshafts to be withdrawn without losing transmission fluid.

Mechanically, it wouldn't be too much problem. You would probably have to modify the sub-frame where the lower mounting attaches. New driveshafts. New radiator, just been quoted £440 for one from Citroen. If you have an existing one then £191 for an exchange unit. New engine mounts, if donor car was anything but another XM. New exhaust.

Where the real work would be involved is in the wiring and hydrulics. The late V6 uses the 6+2 hydrulic pump which separates the power steering from the rest of the hydrulics, so would have to do away the flow diverter valve and re-jig the feed to the steering rack. The gearbox has additional wiring to the control switches in the center console and the selection indicator in the instrument cluster. Gear selector would probably need to be changed. Series one and series two cars seem to use a different design of connectors, so there would need to be a lot of pieceing out in the loom. RH display module and wiring if you want to retain the trip computer functions. If you wanted to retain the aircon then a late v6 condenser and reciever plus piping.

If you are going to go ahead with this excercise, then look out for the later ES9J4S as opposed to the ES9J4 used in the XM. It produces 210BHP as opposed to 194BHP, same lump as the 250BHP Renault Sport Clio. It is also more economical.

......Oh, and an understanding insurance company.
Masterclock.

Already have trip computer, wouldn't the current hudraulic system drive off the engine as it is...

Mmm. Guess I'll just have to save for a S2 car..

DerekW.

Already have heated seats ALL ROUND, Clarion 6 CD Changer, Heated washer jets, dont want Air bags! Hate them.. Must admit dipped mirror would be handy, so 1 to the S2 car.. and cruise.. So only really the lack of air bag that suits me to the ground..

Regards
citroenxm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter