Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Power Steering

Club XM Forum > XM General Issues
XM_on_ a_ shoestring
My son-in-law bought my old 1994 2.1TD hatchback off me and recently the steering has been going heavy and then light again. Is it the steering rack seals have worn? (its done 225,000 on this rack) and I'm guessing the rack has to come out, or can it be done in situ. Any suggestions welcome.
Peter.N.
The most likely problem is quite simple - the hydraulic pump belt is slipping, try adjusting it or better still fit a new belt. It does a lot of work and needs to be very tight.

Peter.N.
XM_on_ a_ shoestring
Thanks PeterN
I'll try that first, it sounds a lot simpler.
Bigmixer
I had similar problems at around the same mileage. Is it long since you changed your LHM? I put in Hydraflush for about 4 weeks and then fresh fluid and the problem was sorted,
Bigmixer
XM_on_ a_ shoestring
Hi Bigmixer,
I've never changed the LHM on it, is there any brand you would recommend or are they all pretty much the same? What's the procedure for a complete LHM swap?
techmanagain
LHM supplies.
Oddly enough you will probably get the genuine Citroën LHM fluid cheaper at the main Citroën main dealer than any other source - even Halfords - so get the right stuff and save!
Bigmixer
I prefer Bendix but anything would be better than 200k old !!!! Put the suspension on lowest, and drain the Lhm tank and remove and clean the filters. I use an old petrol efi pump to suck most of the fluid out before removing the tank, not completely needed but makes life a little easier.
Hope this helps,
bigmixer
Peter.N.
The cheapest LHM I have been able to find is at GSF. If you dont have one locally they do a very good mail order service.

Peter.N.
XM_on_ a_ shoestring
Thanks to all for your helpful advice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2022 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter