Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Fuel filter + a few other things.

Club XM Forum > XM General Issues
2L XM Turbo
Hi there all you other XM owners, I have a bit of a strange problem. I can't find the fuel filter on my 1993 XM Si Turbo, I have looked next to the fuel tank where it is indicated in the manual but there is nothing there. I have traced the fuel lines from the tank to the injector rail and can't find it, anyone have any suggestions?? Also under light throttle loads when accelerating the car seems to pulse rather than accelerate smoothly, could this be due to the sheres being flat (I'm changing them this weekend) and the pump cutting in all the time? I also have a problem with the waste gate sticking slightly open every now and again, is this a common problem?? Thats all I can think of at the moment but I'm sure I will be back frequently with more questions.
noz
2L XM Turbo,

I'm not familiar with the exact model but can I make a suggestion. Please don't be offended but I don't know how far your investigations have reached. There will be two pipes coming from/leading to the tank. One will be the supply pipe and the other taking the excess fuel back to the tank.

You can tell them apart by their function. On the end of the fuel rail there will be a pressure regulator in the form of a small vacuum capsule and two pipes/tubes connected. Depending on the level of vacuum the device will spill more or less fuel back to the tank to maintain the same pressure in the rail. The return pipe to the tank will be connected to the pressure regulator. By elimination the other pipe will be the supply pipe. The filter will always be in the supply pipe to protect the very small orifices inthe injectors.

The filter usually takes the form of an aluminium cylinder about 100-150mm long and 50-75mm diameter. More often than not the connections on either end will be the banjo type. It's usually mounted somewhere on the bulkhead.

Sorry if you know all this already.

Have you looked behind the scuttle panel at the base of the windscreen. It comes of by prising the cover off at either end to reveal two screws at eiother end. There's one more screw in the centre under the bonnet. There's lots hidden under there.

cheers

noz
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter