Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Xm Headlights

Club XM Forum > XM General Issues
xmexclusive
Hi All

Can anyone please give me a potted history one how to get the best beam performance from XM headlights.

Regards

XMexc
Niek
Get s2 headlights from over here. (you'd have to drive on the right side of the road as well though!)

I think you can take the membranes (the ones that go yellow) out of the headlights. But I can't remember if it would really upset the beam or not.
Peter.N.
You can quite safely remove the plastic lenses in front of the dipped bulbs, it alters the beam shape but doesn't affect the position of the beam. Another thing you can do is to clean the reflectors, this has to be done very carefully though or you will take the reflective surface off. I did mine using some soft tissue soaked in methylated spirit, just wipe the surface very gently, dont press!!. The above made a considerable difference to mine.

Peter.N.
xmexclusive
Hi Peter

Thanks for a very useful reply. I have removed the plastic lens and fitted a high brightness "blue halogen" bulb in the drivers side headlamp that I had to replace. I will see what difference this makes.

Regards

XMexc
DerekW

About two years ago one of the motoring mags (Auto Express I think) did a test to compare all the headlamp bulbs available for brightness, beam focus etc.. THey came up with a clear winner, the Osram Silver Star. I bought two pairs of bulbs via the internet for about £18 total and the difference they have made to night driving is amazing. Highly recommended.

Blue bulbs are not recommended because the blue colouring has the effect of filtering and reducing the light output - the high intensity blue lights that one sees on top range cars are not bulbs in the accepted sense, they rely on an arc discharge rather like those found in cinema projectors. Which explains why they cost upwards of £500.

Derek
mackay1
Hi xmexclusive,

There's a really good article in this months Citroen Car Club magazine that covers this in depth (page 63-67).

More to the point there now appears to be a real solution to this problem although at £350 it's not cheap.

PTS Developments in Wokingham (http://www.ptsdevelopments.com) have fitted the author's car with HID gas discharge (Xenon) lights and he says - "My XM is utterly transformed".

The headlight problem is THE major negative about XM's for me and I'll be finding out more about this for sure.

mackay1
xmexclusive
Hi Mackay 1

Have just read it this evening as I sit here recovering from whiplash (Silver XM now sick at the back end as well as having a wrong colour Mk1 front end).
The HID option looks a bit costly so I think I would like to see and try a working system first . I have a few more things to try first. I have some spare headlamps including a new one to experiment with. Will report on progress.

Regards

XMexc
Peter.N.
Hi XMexc

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Has yours got driving/fog lights, or are they now part of the other vehicle? Mine has, and used in conjunction with the dipped beam they work very well. On my previous car, cleaning the reflectors and removing the diffusers (as previously mentioned) improved the output considerably.

Peter.N.
mackay1
Hi XMexc,

Sorry to hear about the whiplash incident. I agree with you about it being costly and would also prefer to see them for myself. On the other hand Julian Marsh seems to be something of an authority on the subject of XM lighting (see http://www.citroenet.org.uk/passenger-cars.../xm/xm-11.html) and the problem is so bad on the XM that I'm really keen to find a solution, since like Julian, I live in a rural area.

Although his article goes into a lot of history about the issue it's not particularly clear why the conversion he's bought works so well (given that he acknowledges that brighter lamps don't have much effect) or how much of a difference it made. Perhaps someone here can shed some light on that (opps - sorry).

In an effort to find out a bit more - I did a quick search on the web and found that these kits are readily available around £225 and seem to be suitable for DIY installation. (for example see http://www.hids4u.co.uk/product_details.asp?id=45). Although still expensive, that's considerably cheaper than the £350 + VAT mentioned in the article to have them fitted. I'm very tempted to have a go but need to do some further investigation first. I'll keep you posted.

mackay1
mackay1
Hi

The first link in my previous post doesn't seem to work so here goes again:

http://www.citroenet.org.uk/passenger-cars/psa/xm/xm-11.html

mackay1
xmexclusive
Hi Mackay1

Your thoughts on the HID article are interesting. Part of my problem is that I will want to fit up more that one XM so the cost is very important. The one plus to more that one XM is that comparisions between different mods and bulbs is easier with more than one car. On the subject of using fog lights to supplement the dipped headlights I often find this pattern of lights very irritating when driving towards other cars so am not keen to use it myself.

Regards

XMexc
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2022 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter