Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Hello and help

Club XM Forum > Introductions
Feersum Endjinn
Hello good people of the hydraulic faith.
My name is Kenneth, I live in Belgium and I run a 1992 XM 2.0 i since last Thursday.
Before this I had an Abarth 500, so it's quite a change, for the better, I might add.
The level of comfort is incomparable and I drive much more calmly now.
The Abarth was no fun at less than full tilt, the XM is an event even when standing still.
It will be my only car until I decide what new car to get later in the year and I intend to keep it as a second car.
It's in very good nick, has only done 86.000 kms and is completely original.
The colour is Gris Crystal and the interior is in grey fabric.
The only thing missing is AC, but what the hell.
It runs great, I have an appointment with the dealer for a complete check up on August 1st and now it decides to throw a fit!
All of a sudden the car has decided not to idle anymore.
It just cuts out when the revs drop.
Any pointers?
Thanks a bunch.
I'll try to upload some pictures later...
Andmcit
Hi Kenneth, welcome to club-xm. Does the engine rev OK once it's running?

I've experienced idle issues on a couple of my 2.0i's and put it down to the supplementary
air flow valve sticking internally:

user posted image

There's every chance it just needs a light tap or clean through with a carburettor/lubrication
aerosol spray or possibly just a reconnection of the multiplug to it and the hoses checked for
secure connections. There's very little to actually go wrong internally TBH.

Andrew
Feersum Endjinn
Thanks a lot Andrew.
this is indeed the part I just disconnected and cleaned (with WD 40) as on other (Dutch) sites it seems to be a recurring theme.
They clean it with brake fluid apparently but as I do not have that lying around, WD 40 should do the job too.
I refitted the thing and the car started and idled normally.
Fingers crossed for tomorrow.
Already this car is growing on me!
Andmcit
Great stuff!

The sense of occasion every time you get into one won't wear off even if you go out and
buy another marque - you just need the right mindset to tackle the foibles these sometimes
throw up. You've found the right place too should these foibles end up giving you concern!!

A lot of posters on this site have been here ahead of you and encountered most things
now and Xm's rarely throw up totally unique problems.

enjoy!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter