Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version lock set? just realised my ignition key doesn't

Club XM Forum > Wanted!
simonxm21
hi all,
as above really, mine has obviously had a ignition switch swap in the past, i had a spare set which i tried but didn't work, well until read in the manual that you had to push on the key in the lock to work and i binned them blink.gif anyway i only have the ignition key and no means of opening my xm if the plip stops working!

I have looked on ebay, but wondered if anyone had a set going any cheaper?

cheers,
simon.
xmexclusive
There are at least 8 different types of XM lock set available.
Most ebay sellers have little idea which type they are selling.
Typical ebay price for NOS ones is £40 but they only turn up now and again.
Can complete some existing XM lock sets by rekeying to suit.
Only the latest Valeo ignition switches beat me.
PM me with a bit more information on your current locks and keys.
That should enable me to suggest the best and cheapest alternatives.

John
simonxm21
QUOTE (xmexclusive @ )
Can complete some XM lock sets by rekeying to suit.
PM me with a bit more information on your current locks and keys.
That should enable me to suggest the best alternatives.

John


great, what do you need i'd like my ignition key to match the boot lock as i'm de-locking the front doors!
xmexclusive
First we need to identify the type of ignition lock.
What name is stamped on the silver faceplate?
Depending on that answer may need to check out the wiring type.
Number, type and condition (wear) of keys is next.
Best not to make up the new set with just one good key.
This is because XM cruciform keys are a pain to cut accurately.
They are best bought new against keycode from Citroen.
That costs about £15 a key so is best avoided by using existing good ones if possible.

John
simonxm21
QUOTE (xmexclusive @ )
First we need to identify the type of ignition lock.
What name is stamped on the silver faceplate?
Depending on that answer may need to check out the wiring type.
Number, type and condition (wear) of keys is next.
Best not to make up the new set with just one good key.
This is because XM cruciform keys are a pain to cut accurately.
They are best bought new against keycode from Citroen.
That costs about £15 a key so is best avoided by using existing good ones if possible.

John


thanks john when i take the missus to work in the morning i'll have a look, but i do have the original key number if that helps?

simon.
xmexclusive
Hi Simon

We can check the keycode is correct by measuring the key.
This is only really important if new keys are being ordered from Citroen.
Keycode records seldom get updated when locks are changed.
I prefer to retumbler the locks using a spare key if I can.
Done that way I can double check I got the tumblers right and that the lock works.
Working to just the keycode I usually mess up the sequence.
Then the lock has to come back for another go.
Matching door locks would not be a problem if you wanted them.

John
simonxm21
QUOTE (xmexclusive @ )
Hi Simon

We can check the keycode is correct by measuring the key.
This is only really important if new keys are being ordered from Citroen.
Keycode records seldom get updated when locks are changed.
I prefer to retumbler the locks using a spare key if I can.
Done that way I can double check I got the tumblers right and that the lock works.
Working to just the keycode I usually mess up the sequence.
Then the lock has to come back for another go.
Matching door locks would not be a problem if you wanted them.

John


that's very helpful john, i'll get the name off my ignition barrel, but do remember my ignition key is different from the rest of the locks and would like the ignition key to match the boot lock.

many thanks.
simonxm21
QUOTE (xmexclusive @ )
Hi Simon

We can check the keycode is correct by measuring the key.
This is only really important if new keys are being ordered from Citroen.
Keycode records seldom get updated when locks are changed.
I prefer to retumbler the locks using a spare key if I can.
Done that way I can double check I got the tumblers right and that the lock works.
Working to just the keycode I usually mess up the sequence.
Then the lock has to come back for another go.
Matching door locks would not be a problem if you wanted them.

John


PM sent biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2026 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter