Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version XM Premiere N/S Side Light & Headlight Wanted

Club XM Forum > Wanted!
benbooafrica
Hi All,
Joined the forum last year but this is my first post.

I have a 94 M reg XM Premiere Hatchback 2.0 Petrol, bought about six years ago as a UK runaround as we spend half a year in Africa and invested heavily in a Landrover for out there.

Didn't expect to have the XM so long but once I got used to the dodgy electrics fell in love with it and it has been a great car but now it is at risk of going to the scrap yard in the sky as it is in need of more TLC.

Top priority is a nearside sidelight as I have stupidly just crunched the existing one also my MOT guy has been warning me for years that the nearside headlight reflector is close to failure (some small corrosion) and this year is it!

So anyone out there got a nearside sidelight and/or headlight for a 94 M reg XM for sale?

Cheers
unsure.gif

messerschmitt owner
if SI I have headlamps
if S2 I don't
Zaphod
Pretty sure a premiere is an S1, an S1.5 even!
xhp
hello

I stand to be corrected but I think you can still buy the side lights from citroen, or patent companies, and there not to much, if you dont have any luck getting a s/h one.

benbooafrica


Thanks to everyone who has responded so far, found an old post by a member who was breaking an XM estate N reg and he still has the side & headlight so just checking if they will match mine.

What a great forum this is. Hoping to keep the XM rolling for a while yet although it also has Hydraulic leak high up under the scuttle which seems a common problem with XMs - a few people seem to suggest using Hrdroflush to see if there is a blockage but so far cannot find this stuff?

biggrin.gif
XMX
Hi Benbooafrica,

I tend to agree (As its been suggested) by Zaphod
QUOTE (Zaphod @ )
Pretty sure a premiere is an S1, an S1.5 even!

It's just that your model must have been left in storage (Hopefully not field,but usually are) or possibly in some dealerships yard with it being registered in 1994 on a 'M' plate.

Also as pointed by messerschmitt owner wink.gif (I hope that is a 'wink' smiley Campbell ?) :-

QUOTE (messerschmitt owner @ )
if SI I have headlamps
if S2 I don't

The headlamps for an S1/S1.5 are different to S2's, so the donor 'N' reg. estate you mention will probably be the incorrect type for you vehicle however by using a spacer of approx. 10mm thk. when fitting the centre grill/bar to the headlamp casing mounting lug, you will be able to utilise an S2 on your Premiere model.

But an S1/S1.5 will definitely not fit an S2 model (Fitted with a O/E standard S2 grill) !

Side lamp assembly/fitments however are the same (Obviously there handed) across all model year/ranges !

XMX
benbooafrica
Hi XMX,

Many thanks for the info on the headlight, I'm not up to speed with the series numbers, what constitutes a series 1, 1.5 versus a 2?

I was intrigued when you said the car must have been left in storage to be registered in 94 on an M plate, so that got me thinking - why is that?

I'm lucky enough to have the FSH for the car going back to Feb 95 and that says it had it's 9,000 mile service on the 13/2/95 when it had 8,732 miles on the clock, it was first registered on the 24/8/94 so it looks like whoever had it either thrashed it in the first 6 mths or it was in use before it was registered!

Coming back to the headlight, the existing one works fine it is just the slight pitting on the reflector which is the issue so another suggestion has been to remove the glass and spray it with light silver paint but need to check if this is feasible?

Many thanks to messerschmitt for the offer on your headlamp, I will come back to you if I may. It just I approached the the other guy before putting my first post out so feel I should give him first crack.

Cheers
unsure.gif

citroenxm
What is this issue with S1 and S2 headlights!! Ive a S1.5 with a S2 grill and S1 headlights... there exactly the same... to me anyway.. unless Im missing something critical..

As for storage to be registerd on an M, thats rubbish too, as S1 cars ran right up to M reg 1994, and the change over was in that year.. Ive had 2 M reg S1.5 cars from 1994 now, these being the BEST models I think! As they had the Bolted earthing points and many problems sorted by then...

They also RARELY if ever suffer from suspension problems being stuck in hard mode as lots of S2 cars do..

As for your LHM leak from the scuttle, that should also be an easy one, the brake doser valve is in the scuttle, and I would have thought its VERY likely to be a split return pipe thats letting the LHM out... If it was a high pressure pipe it would hiss and spray LHM all over the place in a fine mist when you press the brake pedal..

I had one with this leak, slight mod with the pipe and all was well... four years later too...

Paul
XMX
QUOTE (citroenxm @ )
What is this issue with S1 and S2 headlights!! Ive a S1.5 with a S2 grill and S1 headlights... there exactly the same... to me anyway.. unless Im missing something critical..


Paul,
Without being rude/adrupt YES you have missed something (It's all been covered on the other forum) search it out when its up and running !

biggrin.gif

XMX

Dieselman
QUOTE (citroenxm @ )

As for your LHM leak from the scuttle, that should also be an easy one, the brake doser valve is in the scuttle, and I would have thought its VERY likely to be a split return pipe thats letting the LHM out...


It will be the end where the pedal crank presses seal split. I have a S1.5 doing this right now, it really pours out.
I've just ordered the seal from Pleiades this afternoon.
benbooafrica
Thanks for the tip Dieselman, mine doesn't pour out more a steady slight drip which gathers under the scuttle, a whole load of crap was clogging up the drain hole at the wing corner so have cleared that now hoping to see better how bad it is.

XMX where is the other forum you mentioned to Paul about the differences on S1 to S2 headlight? Can't see anything obvious?

Cheers
XMX
QUOTE (benbooafrica @ )
.......................
XMX where is the other forum you mentioned to Paul about the differences on S1 to S2 headlight? Can't see anything obvious?

Cheers


Hi benbooafrica !
Heres the LINK you asked for (You will need to register as member to see the post if your not already a member) !

biggrin.gif

XMX

benbooafrica
Many Thanks XMX, didn't know that forum existed, just need to find the post now.
Cheers
Peter
benbooafrica
Hi All,
Well I took the scuttle off over the weekend and cleaned all round the brake control valve (dosier?) but couldn't find any LHM leaks even when pushing on the brake pedal loads of times with engine running also took it up the lane and tried braking a few times but still nothing, so put it all back together and today after a short run out checked again and sods law I can now see fluid again in the well towards the drain hole!

Off to see my XM fundi to see what he thinks, last time without even looking he said it could be expensive but didn't say why so I assume he thinks I will need to replace the control valve, anyone know how much these are and if you can still get them secondhand?

Many thanks to Mcmoonter for his sidelight by the way, big help that, still trying to sort the headlight though.
Cheers
Peter
messerschmitt owner
Peter

been away for last month

PM me your mobile number and I will send pics of light by camera phone thingy!


Campbell
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2026 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter