Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Bearing Noise

Club XM Forum > XM General Issues
igorvandyke
I've got an increasing rumble from the front of my "M" reg. XM estate that starts around 20 MPH and gets more annoying the faster we go. I guess a wheel bearing - anyone got any other ideas or experiance of this or idea of cost to repair please?
Igor
rosspa
Sounds like a front wheel bearing. To replace, the hub needs to be removed.
The last one, that I did, I replaced the complete hub with that from a scrapped car for £20. If you do this, try to make sure that the scrapman does NOT cut through the ABS sensor wire, it is easy to unplug and will save alot of heartache later changing and adjusting the sensor.
Peter.N.
They are not to difficult to change if you have a welder, the most difficult part is removing the outer shell of the bearing from the hub, if you run a ring of weld around the inside of the outer part of the bearing when it cools it will shrink the bearing and will then come out fairly easily.

Peter.N.
Peter.N.
They are not to difficult to change if you have a welder, the most difficult part is removing the outer shell of the bearing from the hub, if you run a ring of weld around the inside of the outer part of the bearing when it cools it will shrink the bearing and will then come out fairly easily.

Peter.N.
Niek
Hello all,

Peter would you mind doing up a self-helpish file for that? I feel I might have one coming up soon.

Cheers,
Niek
Peter.N.
Hi Niek

Its sometime since I did one, although I can hear one coming on now, its been whining on and off for the last 10k but getting worse so slowly that I am in no hurry to do it although I allready have the bearing in stock. If you get desperate I will have a look at the bearing, that will hopefully remind me!

Peter.N.
Niek
Ok, I'll let you know when it happens.
If yours goes first then all should be well

Cheers,
Niek
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2022 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter