Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Cooling Fans Cutting In Late

Club XM Forum > Diesel Specific Issues
blue94auto
Hello all,

I have got my 2.5td vsx estate up and running after the battle of replacing the clutch,then the clutch slave cylinder.All good experience!
Now have noticed that only one of the cooling fans is working and that cuts in too late.
The car runs with the temp needle vertical all day long,but stuck in traffic it will tip towards about 5 minutes past and then the fan kicks in,but soon stops.By this time the coolant has pissed out over the floor and needs topping up.
Is there a way of adjusting the cut in time of the temperature switch?
Anyone ?
Gary
kenhall1202
Hi Gary,

have a look at this thread concerning my 2.1TD cooling fan problem
http://club-xm.com/forum/index.php?showto...hl=cooling+fans

The last post also has a link to an Aussie article describing the slow and fast speed operation of the cooling fans. I would check the brown coolant sensor and its wiring, also the three relays that sit under the front panel in front of the battery for salt corrosion of the terminals.

I don't think any adjustment is possible as the whole fan operation is controlled by the inevitable little box of electronics.

Ken

PS Does your XM have aircon? This also affects cooling fan operation.
blue94auto
Thanks for that Ken I will get the test meter out later once I have had some kip.My car doesn't have air con.
catch you later,
Gary
DrTim
Sorry to butt into this thread but this forum has been dead for me for some weeks lucy I got the new topic email with a URL to this thread in it but attempts to go to the "Cub XM Forum" have just been giving the following errors for me for some weeks (I tried opera as well as firefox same result) Is it just me?

`mySQL query error: SELECT f.*, c.id as cat_id, c.position as cat_position, c.state as cat_state, c.name as cat_name, c.description as cat_desc,

c.image, c.url, m.member_name as mod_name, m.member_id as mod_id, m.is_group, m.group_id, m.group_name, m.mid

FROM ibf_forums f, ibf_categories c

LEFT JOIN ibf_moderators m ON (f.id=m.forum_id)

WHERE c.id=f.category

ORDER BY c.position, f.position

mySQL error: Unknown column 'f.id' in 'on clause'

mySQL error code:

Date: Wednesday 22nd 2009f April 2009 02:54:08 PM
robertxmb
The problem is with the site and a fix is being worked on. You can get in to the site via the back door using a saved link to a page/topic as you have done. Once in you can navigate to other threads via the menu at bottom right of page.

Robert.
Andmcit
Hi DrTim, good to see you on the forum still - we've been here still!! As Robert says, you can
do most things here but the main index page doesn't work. Use the top "My Assistant" and
"Search" options and the bottom section options on the bottom right as already mentioned!

I'm afraid car electrics are a source of bewilderment to me Gary, so I'll be watching this with
keen interest myself...

biggrin.gif

Andrew
kenhall1202
Symptoms suggest the solution lies with the non running fan, either because the fan windings, wiring or associated relay(s) are open circuit (or the fan is mechanically seized). Corroded connections would be my most likely culprit.

Normal operation starts with both fans powered in series so that each fan receives ~6 volts and they run at low speed. An open circuit on either fan will prevent both of them running in low speed mode.

As the coolant temperature rises further the control box switches the relays so that each fan receives the full 12 volts in parallel. If one of the problems outlined above exists with one fan, then only one fan will run at high speed.

Ken
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter