Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version S1 Dash

Club XM Forum > XM General Issues
ThwartedEfforts
Couple of issues with my S1:

First, the wild tacho has finally packed up on me. Not sure if this is salvageable but I intend having a look at the back of it.

Second, while I've replaced a lot of the lamps behind the heater knobs, I'd like to replace the lamps that illuminate the main gauges. Trouble is, I can't see how to get at them or the tacho (see above)

The Haynes manual is utterly useless in this regard, as it only illustrates removing the S2 dashboard. The S1 seems a lot more straightforward, and there are two fairly obvious screws hidden behind blanking plates on either side of the clear plastic, but even after removing these nothing wants to budge. Am I being especially clueless here?

Cheers, P.
dean
Hi TE

Ive had this dash out countless times, but for the life of me i cant remember, Im sure its the 2 screws each side of dash that you mention then untuck the shroud they hold in place from under the warning lamp display then pull it forward and up, now you can unbolt the dash unit itself, undo the speedo cable and unplug the 2? big electrical connectors from the back and then lift it out, i know its very easy, but just cant remember exactly, must be age biggrin.gif

D
citroenxm
Ah thats the clever trick..

Those two screws ARE the only two that hole the cover over the clocks BUT its a VERY VERY tight fit against the back of the centre light panel covering.. you can see the split line..

follow the side of the binnacle cover down to the bottom and just at the bottom were the split line is CAREFULLY lever that part UPWARDS slightly all the way across to the other side, you;ll see then its almost got a bit of sticky ness under it.. then wit the lower part upwards NOT TO FAR it then needs to come FORWARDS so the prongs along the rear come outwards.. You may VERY well break a prong or two.. but that doesn't affect re fitting in any way...

its tightly fitted, once its away 4 screws hold the clocks in place - pull the clocks forward SLIGHTLY just enough to reach behind and release the SPEEOD cable off the back....

Good luck

Paul
Peter.N.
The tacho problem is probably the 2 pin plug/socket on the end of the cylinder head above the gearbox bellhousing. This connects the TDC sensor to the loom and frequently corrodes.
techmanagain
... know its very easy, but just cant remember exactly, must be age ..........................

Once the two screws - one each side under the little covers - are out, use the heels of the hands to give the hood a sharp thump upwards. It pops out! Just like that! The rest follows on naturally biggrin.gif
citroenxm
QUOTE (techmanagain @ Mar 15 2009, 23:53 PM)

Once the two screws - one each side under the little covers - are out, use the heels of the hands to give the hood a sharp thump upwards. It pops out! Just like that! The rest follows on naturally biggrin.gif

But if it goes too far due to tightness it breaks the rear prongs.... wink.gif dry.gif

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter