Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Brake Compensator Valve

Club XM Forum > Hydraulics Issues
bov783
Hi all just got my 1996 XM 2.1TD through the MOT. Great I thought another year of unsurpassed driving luxury!! If only, next morning green fluid flowing down the drive. It seems to be flowing down the inner wing from the valve opperated from the brake pedal. Is it an easy job to do for a novice? Can anyone advise if it can be re sealed or not. Also if anyone can advice where I can get one as German & Swedish don't seem to do them. Do you need a special open ended spaner to remove the pipes. Any advise much appreciated.
Kind regards

Phil
xmexclusive
Hi Phil

Not that difficult a job, just a little akward to get at all the connections. I usually take the whole valve out with the pipes back to the next connection on the scuttle which is much easier to get to. I then assemble the pipes on the new valve and put back in. The hydraulic system then self bleeds as you start to use it. For the pipe nuts I use standard open ended metric spanners.
Pliades do replacement units but do not know price as I have always got away with using secondhand ones so far.

John
bov783
Many thanks John for your prompt reply. I think I will have a go if I can get a replacement.
Will let you know how I get on.
Regards
Phil
robertmnorton
Hi Phil, i got mine from pleiades @ £85, the only difficult bit is the two return pipes. The lower one is difficult due the citroen hose clip, and there is no overlength in them to pull the valve out.Take care when removing the two scuttle panel side trims, they are an expensive bit of plastic.
bov783
Thank for the reply Robert. I have removed the valve this morning.Johns advice was first class. I removed the four hydraulic pipes and one return pipe from the scuttle. I then managed to remove it pipes attached. I had to remove the pivot through bolt on the actuator to access the lower bolt on the valve.
I have emailed Pleiades so I just hope they have one. The problem is a leak from the rubber boot. There is a lot of pressure on the return circuit so I think the valve is well worn. Is there any technique in re instating the pipes. Should I pick out the old seals as one seems to have dis lodged. Are these seals available? Any tips welcome.
Thanks again
Regard
Phil
robertmnorton
Hi Phil, pleiades supply new seals with all their o/hauled parts, so no worry.As for refit, just those pesky citroen hose clips.
bov783
Hi all
New valve fitted from Pleiades cost £110.00 Inc postage and vat. Much cheaper than Citroen and much better service would recomend these as they are happy to advise on fitting. Thanks to you for the advise without this I would be several hundred pounds down .
Regards
Phil biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter