Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Smell Of Diesel When Moving

Club XM Forum > Diesel Specific Issues
ThwartedEfforts
Hi all.

I'd originally mentioned this problem in describing the car I'd just bought - a '92 S1 2.1 - but I can't find what's causing it. The car runs OK but smells quite strongly of diesel when you open a window or the sunroof. Keep the roof and windows closed and the smell goes away. It's really not something I can live with as it makes me feel unwell, and to make matters worse the residual pong lingers for some time afterwards.

I'd had the guys at Brodie's look at the problem but I think given it was a cold day when they road tested the car they said that while they could smell a hint of the fuel in the cabin it wasn't anything that got worse as you drove it. They did look around the top of fuel tank and had a cursory look at the bleed backs but drew a blank.

Ciarán said:

Could be a split in the wee leak back pipes between the injectors, they can harden and crack with age.

Failing that it could be one of the gaskets in the pump, but I wouldn't imagine so at this low mileage.

Could also be one of the rubber fuel supply hoses which come up the back of the engine and goto to the filter housing / primer, though normally if they leak, air gets in and it'll get running problems, so probably not that.

Dieselman said:

For the diesel smell check the high pressure and delivery valve unions into the end of the pump. Run the engine and watch with a torch for drips.

I've done both these things but am sadly getting nowhere. Does anyone else have any ideas? It's really bugging me sad.gif

Cheers, Phil.
Dieselman
As you say it's only doing it with the windows/roof open it's coming from the rear of the car, not the front.

Check the tank filler and breather for splits.

Do you mean diesel fuel smell or diesel fumes from the exhaust.?
ThwartedEfforts
The smell of the fuel, it's deffo not the exhaust. Will check the tank as you suggest. Thanks for the quick reply smile.gif
onthecut
Hi Phil.

Also worth popping the back RH seat squab up, removing the grommet and checking the sender and take off unit. If anyone has had this out and then replaced it, but cross threaded the locking ring, or not got it seated properly, it's potentially a source of leakage or smell.

Mike.
Peter.N.
Have a look underneath for signs of leaking diesel - unless its already suturated with LHM. biggrin.gif
broyty
Hi Phil check all the above mentioned points including the seal on the filler cap also check the the fit of the tailgate and condition of the tailgate /rear lamp seals as air can be drawn in through these also check any wiring grommets on the rear end

Mick
ThwartedEfforts
QUOTE (Peter.N. @ Feb 28 2009, 18:32 PM)
Have a look underneath for signs of leaking diesel - unless its already suturated with LHM. biggrin.gif

sad.gif

No signs of leaking anywhere underneath, LHM or otherwise. Although on driving to work this morning the car lost almost all its ride quality on a fast stretch of A-road before turning soft again as I pulled into the office car park. Was most unpleasant, felt like I was at the wheel of something German. Are the cars known for doing that? The S2's never behaved that way.
Peter.N.
If there is no leakage it must be vapour from the tank. Does the fuel filler cap fit properly?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter