Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Pulling Away On A Hill

Club XM Forum > XM General Issues
KatSavage
Hi there
I'm new to the forum, and we have just purchased our second XM. i haven't yet figured out how to pull away on a hill without a conventional handbrake. Can anyone advise me on this.
Also, on both of our XM's, the boots are currently stuck locked. Any ideas for freeing them up, please?

many thanks

Kat
Dieselman
I take it the cars are manual gearbox variants, in which case engage the gear as normal then just as the clutch bites pull the park brake release and drive off.

For the boot lock it's probably just lack of use causing the lock to seize, spray penetrating oil in the keyway then just keep working a key in and out and trying to turn it until it goes.
It may need persueding in with light hammer taps.
demag
Mine stuck some time ago. It's possible to get in the boot over the back seat, remove the hatch trim and open the boot. Not easy! But possible biggrin.gif
ThwartedEfforts
QUOTE (KatSavage @ Feb 25 2009, 17:37 PM)
I'm new to the forum, and we have just purchased our second XM. i haven't yet figured out how to pull away on a hill without a conventional handbrake. Can anyone advise me on this.

I believe you need to read Andrew's post on the subject:

http://club-xm.com/forum/index.php?showto...indpost&p=36440

Also is there a moderator about to move this entire thread into the correct area?
DOD
if you are driving a diesel, you should be able to keep your foot on the brake while engaging the clutch in first gear and there will be enough torque for the engine to hold the car car as you take your right foot off the brake and move it to the accelerator. If you use the parking brake as described, it is important that it is adjusted correctly because if there is too much slack in the cables they can jump out of the balancer whatsit when used as described.
cheers,
DOD
Jan-hendrik
Also is there a moderator about to move this entire thread into the correct area?

Must be taking a day off unsure.gif
DerekW
Noz tends to keep a light hand on the tiller. He expects us to moderate ourselves to a large degree - which we do quite successfully biggrin.gif

And a small faux pas by a new member hardly deserves to be trampled on. mad.gif

Derek
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter