Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Pressure Regulator

Club XM Forum > Hydraulics Issues
bobhalliday
Hi all.
Working on the XM yesterday I found where my oil leak is from, my pressure regulator is a bit wet and was wondering what other XM's are this type of valve fitted to, I spoke to Martin at Plaiedes and he says that after my 1996 car the valve changed and quoted £91.00 for a reconditioned unit, a bit too painfull at the moment on top of all I have already spent on it.
I'm studying the excellent post by jeorg9 and would like to try my hand at curing the leak at least by myself or find another valve to fit while I'm doing this.
Any help would be brilliant!
Regards.
Bob.
Peter.N.
Hi Bob

It does have a rubber return pipe at the top, its not leaking from there is it?

Peter.N.
bobhalliday
I'll have a closer look at it tomorrow Peter.
steelcityuk
I've had a pressure regulator leaking from the seal on the plastic cap (connects to LHM return). If this is the fault you could perhaps pickup a cheapie from the local scrapyard and just swap the cap and seal. Watchout for the spring(s) and shim(s).

The one on my current XM is leaking so it's a course of action I'll be taking myself.

Steve.
Aerodynamica
If it's for your S1 Xm then it has the extra rigid pipe to feed the FDV. A Mk1 Xantia or PAS equipped BX will have a PR that can do the job.

If anyone's interested in the disassembly and re shimming of a Pressure regulator, I have a thread over on the CX club to document this.
citroenxm
Carefull Aerodynamica

Xantia Mk.1's ONLY had the XM type Regulator in the K reg 1993 to EARLY L 1994 model year.. from then the Flow divider was deleted and the 6+2 system was used...

I have seen a few L 1994 Xantias with 6+2 systems and others with Flow dividers early systems.. So its getting hard to get them for Xantias ...

Im ALSO very interested in curing Regulator leaks, I have a few which are leaking from the END from the use of flat spheres, but cannot see how they come apart..

A Link possibly to yur thread??

Rgds
Paul
Aerodynamica
Ah sorry, I still consider the 'Mk1 Xantia' to be the 93-94 'FDV type' and the 6+2 with chevrons on the grill to be the Mk2 and the actual Mk2 to be the Mk3.....

Apologies. So the 'Chevrons on the bonnet' Mk1 Xantia with FDV is the one i mean.

PR thread was quite a while ago - need to search
Aerodynamica
Sorry can't find the thread.

I'll repost the pictures with some notes:

Pressure reg location on CX 2400 Pallas
below the big green HP pump

PR on the workbench
user posted image

Clamp used to compress the end cap of the regulator - this has a spring behind it that loads the main slide valve - it has an O ring to seal it and this can leak. The only way to get it out is to compress it and remove the C - clip snap ring thing. In this pic you can also see the return pipe attachment part at the side has been removed - this contained the spring, seat and shims for the cut out valve. It's the easier of the 2 spring and shims to reach.
user posted image
user posted image

One little hole needs to be drilled in the side about 4-5mm from the end to allow the snap ring to be pushed out.

End cap loose
user posted image
user posted image

Sorry rubbish photo but you can -just- make out the shims all sitting on the set of the end cap. Count the shims and take note of the number of thick and thin shims. By adding a single thin shim you raise the cut in pressure by 0.3bar - not sure about the thick ones but I think they're an increase of a bar each. I added one thick one and 3 thins and reassembled. Note: I had a second regulator to donate the shims.
user posted image
user posted image

Refit the end cap with the clamp and the snap ring - applying a film of LHM to the O ring. The cut out pressure is tuned similarly with shims but the spring and seat are located in the protrusion where the return pipe is connected. This is held on by 2 8mm bolts, and the shims are located on the inner seat of this cap. The spring bears onto a dished disk and under this the end of the cut out valve itself (you can actually pull the valve out - it will just slide). I added some shims.

I took the oppo to repaint the regulator in 'vert'
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

So this raised the pressure of the system as I reckoned that my CX (being 31 years old) would have slightly tired and off spec springs. I had been trying to improve the slightly heavy PAS at parking speeds and had replaced everything so far.

I have used the car for over 18months since this and can report that the suspension goes up quicker, the brakes are sharper and the car takes longer to sink down, It goes over a minute between 'ticks' of the regulator. But the steering still gets heavy at parking speeds despite replacing the entire CX 'DIRAVI' column, pump, filters, LHM, 2 accumulators, pump belt and finally reshimming the regulator.
citroenxm
FANTASTIC!!

I can have a go now at a leaky regulator... are the O Ring seals Stealer only or can they be obtained else where??

Rgds
Paul
Aerodynamica
Maybe Pleiades?
Peter.N.
You can get an 'O' ring kit from Toolstation and probably other places, containing about every size made for about a fiver.
bobhalliday
Hi PeterN. It's not the rubber hose leaking. I've been out checking, in the rain too! I've now pressure washed the unit to see if that helps and will have to wait till it dries off a bit before checking again.
The whole valve is a bit 'wet' not a huge leak but over a long period is dirtying my parking spot.
Thanks to all who gave help and advice, and to Aerodynamica for the photo's and offer of a drawing when found. I'm thinking of checking with the scrappies for a spare before I go the expensive route to Plaiedes. Cit Quotes £250 'ish!
Regards.
Bob.
bobhalliday
Hi,
I was on Ebay car spares and see a new PR for £143.00 at the Glasgow garage. Two XM's at wolsey house motors breaking and another in a private breakers. I've written to them but what PR Valves will be same as mine. 1996 #6612 N***YBL.
Regards.
Bob.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter