Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version 2.1 Td '98 High Idle And Engine Shutdown At 2000 R

Club XM Forum > Diesel Specific Issues
Pages: 1, 2
dieselflosse
Hi!

I noticed that here is a lot of knowledge of XM diesels. So, I registered in rolleyes.gif

I have a problem with my 2.1td '98. Everything worked find until the manual transmission went broken.

One of my Citroën friends promised to replce manual with automatic transmission and did it. Then problems started.

The engine runs quite high idle (my quess is 1500rpm) even the rpm meter shows 900. And when you press the pedal, engine stops less than 2000 rpm (read from the meter).

Have you heard this kind of problem earlier? Is there some differences between a flywheel of manual and automatic (I mean from rpm reading viewpoint)?

The transmission and flywheel is from '97 2.1td and wire kits from the cabine to the front are from '99 2.1 td.

Why the king of darkness put his fingers to the diesel... ph34r.gif
dieselflosse
Something found.

The flywheel is from car with mechanical pump. It has only two spots (or marks) for rpm sensor on it. The electrical needs four spots.

Tomorrow I will drill two spots more to the installed flywheel. It should be possible without any big manovers..

Peter.N.
Self diagnosis? biggrin.gif Welcome to the club, I didn't see you creep in.

Your friend wouldn't like to convert an auto to manual for me would he?

Peter.N.
DOD
Remember that the flywheel balance is quite critical, lots of luck.
DOD
dieselflosse
Hi!

I jump on board as soon as I noticed this excellent site exists...

Some status info about my Xm. I got idle back to about 900 by adding those extra marks (holes) to flyheel. Only mistake was calculation failure of ten teeth. (Don't do anything when you have stomach influensa). I welded it up, but I think it gives some fault to the signal.

The engine is a little bit shake when running idle and when you press the pedal, engine light switch on high rpm. And off when you came back to lower rpm.

So, the engine works almost. Rpm meter (is it speedo?) mixed-up when you run over 3000.

That was how it works with 'P'.

When I took a test drive, engine stops when transmission change to 3 (D-positon). Same effect with 2-position, but related to speed or rpm some how.

I do more investications when I am well again. wacko.gif

Ps. Peter.N., Just drive your car to Finland. I believe my friend will change A to M with very low price. wink.gif
Peter.N.
OK you'r on. biggrin.gif
dieselflosse
Hi!

I decided to change flywheel to car from '99.it has right number of holes on it and it is balanced.

We will do that change next Sunday with my friend. He told it is possible without taking engine out. Just open the border between engine and transmission.

At least this should fix the shaking of engine. That engine stop when driving is still some mysterious thing. Maybe I should take epic box and the engine wire set from the '99 car too.

So, more next Sunday.
Peter.N.
Yes, you should be able to change the flywheel with the engine in situ, I did a clutch recently, you can move the gearbox back about 20cm which just allows you access.

Mine all have Bosch mechanical pumps, much less trouble. biggrin.gif
dieselflosse
QUOTE (Peter.N. @ Feb 24 2009, 14:23 PM)
Mine all have Bosch mechanical pumps, much less trouble. biggrin.gif

Lucky you! wink.gif
dieselflosse
Hi!

After 12 hours work (2 guys) flywheel is changed. There is still a few hours to go before the engine can be started. This evening I hope we get everything back to their places.

There was only 1.5 inch crack between transmission and engine where we had to manage bolts. But we made it!

We had to drop "the structure where a steering is mounted" (what is English term for that?) 2-3 inch before we could get enough space between the transmission and the engine.

Dieselman
QUOTE (dieselflosse @ Mar 2 2009, 07:58 AM)
We had to drop "the structure where a steering is mounted" (what is English term for that?)

The subframe.

This sounds like an 'interesting' job... unsure.gif
dieselflosse
Hi!

I drove 2 km last night! Transmission was perfect, engine ran smoothly... But flywheel contacts engine on the one position wacko.gif The result is bad noise on idle. The contact is very light and I think should I just drive since the noise is gone or do the operation once more blink.gif

Morning I had the plan to drive 50 km to my job, but wipper doesn't work. And in southern Finland we had quite heavy snow fall...

This starts to be quite stressful...
dieselflosse
Hi!

Today I drove 50 km with the XM. Driving is quite smooth with automatic wink.gif Only problem is a little vibration when idling (not depend on 'D' or 'P') and that occasional noise. The vibration and noise are not directly related.

Is there any possibility to tune idle on epic pump? Now the idle is a little bit over 900, and it could be 850.

How the transmission should work when driving 35-40 km/h and 'step on it'? Now kick down changes to 2nd gear but not the first... Feature or failure?

The max rpm when change next gear seems to be 4100 rpm. Ok? Or should it be a little bit more? How to tune it?

kenhall1202
I'm not familiar with the auto 2.1TD but on the manual there is no idle speed adjustment, it is regulated by the ECU. Make sure when the accelerator pedal is at rest that there is a little bit of slack in the cable so that the throttle potentiometer can rest on its stop.

Ken
robertmnorton
Yes, as Ken says, there are no external pump adjustable settings on the EPIC, just the cable free play.
Pages: 1, 2
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter