Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Hello From France

Club XM Forum > Introductions
rogermunns
At the moment I'm running a 1998 Xantia 1.8 petrol manual. I've had this since I moved here just three years ago and it's been brilliant. 60000km without any problems.
I've hankered over an XM for some time.
Could someone please list the models available? I'm thinking late models, diesel auto would be nice. (Diesel fuel here cheaper than petrol).
Best wishes to you all.
carlos774
Welcome,
I don't know much about diesels but I'm sure that some folks will be along shortly who do. You're definitely in the right place.
Petrol has dropped nicely as well you know and V6's are luverly ..........
Which bit of France are you in ?After being here 3 years you'll realise that pretty much any car here is considerably more expensive than a similar one in the UK and some of the diesel XM's have got starship mileages on 'em. But, good luck with your quest.
Cheers ,Carl G
xmexclusive
Hi Roger

In the UK the later Mk2 XM's (1995 model year on) were fitted with just 2 diesel engine types. The 2.1TD (manual & auto options) and the 2.5TD (manual only). By the 1997 model year virtually all 2.1's were auto's. XM's came in hatchback car form and estate versions vith some variation in trim and equipment levels. French range was a bit wider than UK and models have different names and some spec variation. For a given age of car UK RHD prices are much lower than European ones.
Hope you find your ideal XM.

Best Regards

John
steelcityuk
Hi,

A great place to start is Julian Marsh's website, though be careful it's easy to get sucked in, that's what happened to me.

http://www.citroenet.org.uk/passenger-cars...m/xm-index.html

Steve.
Peter.N.
Hi Roger

Welcome to the club. As Carl said XMs are much cheaper over here, just a little matter of the steering wheel position, although there is a LHD petrol one for sale on the autotrader at present.

There are very few left in this country and I didn't think there were many in France, until I drove round Rennes last year and past a lot more than you would here.

I would think that Ebay would be your first port of call but I expect you have something similar to Autotrader over there

Happy hunting.

Peter.N.
robert_e_smart
Welcome Roger

I live in France now, near Belfort in the East.

I run a 2.1 TD Auto 1996. If you are nearby, you are more than welcome to come and see the car and take it for a drive to get an idea of what it is like.

Xms are much more expensive in France.

Another thing that you will have to consider is whether you want a Series 1 or a Series 2. Everyone here has an opinion on this. I have both, and like them both for different reasons. The series 2 dashboard is like the Xantia one, but there are still a lot of differences.

Series 1
user posted image

Series 2
user posted image

I hope you find the car that you want, and Bonne Courage!

Robert
xmaddict
try here its where i got mine........brings it to your home as well. http://www.citroen-mechanics.co.uk/
Peter.N.
I don't think that includes France! biggrin.gif
Citroenmad
Hi, welcome to the forum smile.gif

Im sure you have a much easier time finding good Xms over in France than we do here wink.gif

Chris.
rogermunns
Thanks, all, for those encouraging and welcoming words.

Secondhand cars in France fetch ludicrous money (e.g. Year 2000 Xantia 2.0Hdi saloon €6500 - admittedly very low km) so it makes sense to buy in UK.
RHD in a LHD country isn't really an issue. But who knows - might find a LHD in UK at UK prices!

I'll try a few dealers over here to get a ride / drive and see how it compares to the Xantia, which is very good when it is correct.

Xantias came with different hydraulic systems, including 'Activa' which is an active suspension. Were XM's available with such an option? While I've never driven an 'Activa' I suspect they were pretty special... even my 'standard' suspension is excellent.

Thanks for the Series I vs. series II pictures, they are a help inasmuch as they show that even in the Series I they were pretty well up together.
Andmcit
QUOTE (rogermunns @ Feb 15 2009, 16:53 PM)
Thanks, all, for those encouraging and welcoming words.

Secondhand cars in France fetch ludicrous money (e.g. Year 2000 Xantia 2.0Hdi saloon €6500 - admittedly very low km) so it makes sense to buy in UK.
RHD in a LHD country isn't really an issue. But who knows - might find a LHD in UK at UK prices!

I'll try a few dealers over here to get a ride / drive and see how it compares to the Xantia, which is very good when it is correct.

Xantias came with different hydraulic systems, including 'Activa' which is an active suspension. Were XM's available with such an option? While I've never driven an 'Activa' I suspect they were pretty special... even my 'standard' suspension is excellent.

Thanks for the Series I vs. series II pictures, they are a help inasmuch as they show that even in the Series I they were pretty well up together.

There are a few LHD Citroens available occasionally on www.ebay.co.uk although they tend
to be higher priced than equivalent UK one's I don't think they reach France levels.

Sounds like you know your way around Xantiae so an Xm isn't too much of a leap into the
unknown! As far as Xantia and Xm suspension goes, the Xm really only ever sold as hydractive
which the equivalent VSX trim level Xantia matches. A more straightforward BX based suspension
is then fitted on the LX/SX Xantiae as the very rare base Xm's were equipped; I'm actually
pretty certain they were only sold in France as an entry level option in the Xm range.

Yes, the Activa is a very special driving experience. It does work well although it is very
slightly firmer than the optimum VSX/Exclusive option/fitment.

Andrew
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter