Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Glow Plugs

Club XM Forum > XM General Issues
Blondie
Hi all, the Mechanically Able One and I recently attempted to change all 4 glow plugs on my XM 2.1TD auto estate. 2 were easy to get at, the other 2 downright impossible. Is there a knack/trick/brilliant manoevre anyone can suggest please-the car is REALLY hating cold mornings! Thanks all.
demag
Are you sure the plugs are down and not the relay? wacko.gif

I only changed 3 on mine I just didn't want the hassle of doing the one behind the pump!
colinxm
Sorry to be the bearer of bad new but there isn't a trick to this other than nimble fingers and cranked socket-spanners... the job is a right royal p.i.t.a mad.gif

Good luck, Colin.P
robertmnorton
Aye,no tricks,it is just fiddly, i take the intake plenum off,just so you get a spanner in from the top.By the way how did you fair with the autobox problem?
Dieselman
If the plugs are stuck in try getting the engine really hot then undoing them. If still stuck use penetrating oil or diesel on them for a day or two first.
Blondie
Thanks for your replies everyone, much appreciated. The autobox problem is on hold at the moment-dog needed x-rays which swallowed up unreasonable amount of cash! We just had a spectacularly beautiful daytrip to Bath, car behaving beautifully and technicolour Disney sunset over snowy fields . . .all the mechanical headaches seemed far away! Cheers, Donna.
bobhalliday
Hi Blondie.
I removed the intake box to get at mine and that made it easy, but one of the plugs has a wire sticking out so you need a slotted socket unless it comes loose with an open end spanner.
Make sure the engine is not difficult to start because of the fuel heater! I found that to be my problem and I changed the plugs for no good reason. Bypassing the heater solved my problem. My engine would start, run for about 100 yards then cut out, then it would start again and be fine till the next morning. If I bled the fuel filter it started, and ran, okay
Bob
Peter.N.
What I find helpful is a selection of spanners of different lengths and angles. You can sometimes get one on and give a fraction of a turn then use another to move it a bit further and so on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter