Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version 4hp 18 Autobox Ratio's?

Club XM Forum > XM General Issues
dean
Hi all

Does anyone know if an auto box from a 2.0 Turbo would have the same ratio's as a 2.0 n/a??? i ask because although the auto in the estate i have just aquired seems to be perfect, i think it may have been force fed some LHM dry.gif fluid looks a bit.............green, and smells funny huh.gif .
I have another perfect 60k box but its off a 2.0 n/a, any help appreciated gents.

D
robertmnorton
Hi Dean, the original fluid with which citroen filled the hp18 was a green colour, to citroen spec, but not the flourescent hue of lhm.This indicates that either the g/box has never had a drain & refill, someone unknowing has topped up/refilled with lhm or it was correctly serviced by a knowing citroen dealer.If the fluid clarity is good and the box performs well then the latter would apply.Otherwise looks like a pre-emptive drain and flush cycle might be wise.Here also is the hp18 ratio's.
dean
Thank you very much, the clarity is good, could do with a change but then its due a service now so.....
Sounds right then as it has a full cit history and the box fluid isnt bright green, it just has a green tinge.
Seems the ratio's are the same then, just a different speedo sender ratio which could be easerly sorted.
I think i will put the turbo's box in now though because it shifts well and with 170k on it i would love to prove something to the auto haters laugh.gif ...................... unsure.gif .

D
robertmnorton
Hi again Dean, an improved/modified torque converter was fitted to the 2L turbo with the intent of improving " driveability", can't find the specific document at the momement, but will dig it out.
dean
Didn't think of the torque converter, but with engines that are modified by adding turbochargers i have heard of the torque converter being upgraded to allow more 'slip' between the engine and box at low revs to get the engine up into the power band quicker, mostly for drag racing though, but it stands to reason they would have changed the converter to match the engines power band/output.
Will be interesting to know what changes they made.

Thanks
D
robertmnorton
Hi Dean, here's that page from the repair manual,not much info though.
dean
Well it gives me the Converter type/number to identify with, also i see driveshafts changed along with some other little bits but my mk2 is a 95 so i may have escaped the differences.............we shall see.

Thanks for that

D
UFO
QUOTE (robertmnorton @ Feb 4 2009, 06:07 AM)
Hi Dean, the original fluid with which citroen filled the hp18 was a green colour, to citroen spec, but not the flourescent hue of lhm.This indicates that either the g/box has never had a drain & refill, someone unknowing has topped up/refilled with lhm or it was correctly serviced by a knowing citroen dealer.If the fluid clarity is good and the box performs well then the latter would apply.Otherwise looks like a pre-emptive drain and flush cycle might be wise.Here also is the hp18 ratio's.

What genius at Citroen thought of that? (with apologies for horrendous implications of an outrageous French accent - and thanks to Kenny Everett)

"Ey Pierre, we already have ze green Hell Haitch Hem, and ze green coolant de radiateur, why not play wiz zere leetle minz and put ze green fluid in ze gearbox too? Zat should make lots of laughs for ze foolz when ze go to fix zere carz!"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter