Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Gas Struts

Club XM Forum > Links
xm_on_a_shoestring
Hi All
I've just replaced my gas struts on my estate rear tailgate. The company is Derby based, so just down the road for me. They will test your old ones and regas them if poss. Mine were worn down, the Teflon? coating had wore away.

Anyway if they are serviceable, they will regas them for £8.50.
I bought a new pair off them £12.99 each +VAT. I collected mine. Post is about another tenner.

The new ones are ace, the tailgate just lifts on its own the last foot - can't remember the last time it did that ohmy.gif , if at all.

Here's the link:- http://www.sgs-engineering.com/gas-struts/gas-struts.php

shoestring
Andmcit
Nice one Henry, really useful link;

it'll be daft things like a tailgate strut replacement that will blight happy Xm ownership!!
Cheers, great to know and actuslly not silly prices either; can't be bad. biggrin.gif

Andrew
robertxmb
Thanks, very useful to know. Another one for the XM bookmarks smile.gif

Robert
Aerodynamica
Hi folks. Upon your recommendation of SGS I'd been in touch with them regarding the possible regassing of the single gas strut on my CX boot lid. I would change it for a new one but being a 1977 car it has a weird older style gas strut that I'd hoped to keep but to restore its performance.

The SGS guy said just to send it so I did and also included a second small lockable gas spring from a reclining chair back. It was a week ago now and having contacted SGS on Thursday to confirm they'd received the struts and again today, I have heard no reply!

I wonder what's going on. I'd have thought they'd have at least said they got them (even if they can't be recharged) I'd prefer to know..

O well..
Andmcit
Any further progress Graeme? Are they still in business!!? Are they doing the business?

Andrew
Aerodynamica
Yes they finally got them - I spoke to them on the phone a few times this week - every time they said they'd phone back - they never did once! - I hate when companies do that!! but they were nice enough AND yes, still in business.

Unfortunately they can't do a CX rear strut but did confirm what I'd thought that the strut from my CX actually has a metal spring inside it!! old school 'DS style' strange!

The other gas strut I'd sent them from an old 'Stoll Giroflex' chair (if that means anything to anyone) was a reclining strut that turned out to be a 'damper' and not a gas strut at all. It is goosed though so I'll be searching for a replacement for that.

rowanmoor
I emailed them for a price for a few struts - full set for the XM and boot for the 306. They came back to me once to ask for the part numbers from all the struts (I didn't have them to hand when I first emailed) but having sent those details nearly a week ago I haven't heard back since.

I don't think customer service is one of their strong points. I will have to send a chasing email...
Andmcit
At that rate, are they even still in business in these uncertain times!?
The prices originally quoted by shoestring sound fine though.

Andrew
xm_on_a_shoestring
Hi All
Their business is a combination of car components and commercial heavy duty hydraulics for commercial vehicles and plant, looking at the details on their vans when I went down to get mine. (As it's only on the door step for me).

I would guess that they go out on site a lot. The car components could be a relatively new service and more of a side line. It was like fort knox to get in the place, I had to wait 10 mins before I got let in. (Short staffed springs to mind).

Anyway, I fitted my new ones and they lift like I've never experienced since I've had the car.

If it helps I can always send an email, as I did mention I would "spread the word" on the forum, to get him to "speed up" on his email replies.

shoestring
rowanmoor
I chased on Thursday and haven't had a reply yet. I put a read receipt on it this time and have not yet had a response, but that doesn't mean it hasn't been read as many clients allow you to block the read receipt. I did get a delivery receipt. It could just be that the person dealing with it is on holiday, but there is no out of office reply.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter