Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Xm 2.0 Tct Exclusive Lpg

Club XM Forum > XM General Issues
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
steelcityuk
Well I was the one that bought the XM. The auction listing was very understated.

Although not blemish free the paintwork is in good condition with the odd scratch here and there. But the things not mentioned in the wording are the HID headlamps and the reversing sensors. Both items I was going to fit when I got it. The icing on the cake for me though is the LPG tank that's positioned where the spare wheel was, another thing that I'd have done if it wasn't already.

So what's it like to drive you may ask?

It's OK but needs some fettling mechanically.

It has a slight misfire whether running on petrol or LPG and at some points in the rev range lacks power. This doesn't worry me as much as if it only misfired on LPG. A quick read up on the LPG forum I've been a member of for some time points to the spark plugs being the number one suspect. It seems that some plugs are better than others and some being so unsuitable that they only last around 2000 mile before the misfires set in. It's also important to get the plug gap right which in the case of LPG sound to be about 0.2mm less than recommended for petrol running. I couldn't check the plugs as my socket set doesn't have a small spark plug socket. The air filter is a bit scruffy and will have to be changed. The oil is still relatively clean, you can still see a slightly golden 'edge' to it. A quick Lexia session could help too.

On a whim I decided to dip the LHM tank, the result was pretty grim so I decided to drain and clean the tank and filters then replace the LHM with some hydraflush. I've never seen a filter so dirty, the round cone shaped one was solid black 3/4 of the tube. The LHM was very dark green and the bottom of the tank slimey and gritty. That the front struts are sticky at the top of their travel doesn't surprise me. A shufty under the car to chack the linkages and pipes is also on the list as is checking for correct operation of the electrovalves and adding diodes to the hydractive ECU.

One thing that really surprised me was how fast the engine warms up compared to the diesels I'm used to. In fact the engine switched over to gas within a mile. Another difference compared to my previous Citroens is that the pump is a single out type.

It's safe to say I'm very happy with it.

Steve.
dean
Hi Steve

Glad your pleased with it and that it was undersold, i like that, when the car is better than you are expecting biggrin.gif , sounds like there is just enough wrong with it to have a play without having to go mad and have it off the road. That lexia should make short work of it anyway, sounds like a nice bit of kit to have cool.gif

Hope it serves you well wink.gif

D
steelcityuk
Hi Dean,

Thanks.

The Lexia is very useful, more so with the C5. Using it you can test all the dash lights, the speedo, etc. Not to mention fault codes reading. The strange thing you can do to the C5 using the Lexia is pump the back or front up or down independantly.

I haven't yet been able to activate the Hydractive valves using it but I'm sure it must be possible.

Steve.
Citroenmad
It does look a very nice tidy car, with a good spec, although i wasnt sure about its wheels! Some wobbly webs for the future perhaps?

The petrols do seem to warm up very quickly, which is nice, especially during the winter.

SamWise1972
Lovely! If ever a V6 with LPG comes up at a sensible price, I'll definitely be interested.
steelcityuk
I'm not sure about the wheels either. I think they look OK (that's a matter of personal taste) but I'm so so about alloys on a day to day car due to the possibility of damage and I'm not keen on low profile tyres. I think they cost too much, are too prone to damage and spoil the ride. Steels and elegant trims would be OK for me.

Another point with the wheels is I'm not convinced they are right for the steering setup, at times it does seem a little wayward but this could even be a tracking or ball joint fault.

I'm on the look out for replacement wheels at the moment.

I nearly bought a V6 before the C5 with a view to converting it. Must be pretty tight under the bonnet when it's all done. There used to be a couple of people in the CCC that had LPG V6s.

Steve.
Citroenmad
Actualy, with the wobbly webs fitted to mine i have noticed a slight difference in ride, and thats only with a 60 tyre over my usual 65 profile! Lower profiles must be quite noticable.

I always quite liked the S2 trims, there are often some come up on ebay, with steels too. Much more practical than your turbos current wheels, which you could sell on when you buy a new set wink.gif

SamWise1972
CitroenXM of this very forum has an LPG V6, in which I have been priveleged to ride. The nature of my driving (huge distances) doesn't make a fast, thirsty car appealing, but if the juice was half the price......
citroenxm
Well boys!!

I have BOTH your cars actually!!

A 2.oi Turbo LPG injection, with tank under in the footwell!

And the fore mentioned 3 litre V6 SEi 1993 vintage..

The V6 has the older sinlge point injection system (like a mono point injection unit or a carb) and the Evaporator sits JUST nicely next to the Evaporator unit...

Shes back on the road again and just 5 days on the road been to stafford ALREADY! I forgot how responsive the V is over the 4 cyl..

The Turbo WILL going up for sale soon, however, got some mechanical work to do first..
A non functioning turbo, a water coolant leak (bad one too), drivers door lock stopped working, and the PLIP reciver stopped working... Havent tried it in another car yet...

Rgds
PAul
DoubleChevron
QUOTE (citroenxm @ Jan 31 2009, 22:35 PM)
Well boys!!

I have BOTH your cars actually!!

A 2.oi Turbo LPG injection, with tank under in the footwell!

And the fore mentioned 3 litre V6 SEi 1993 vintage..

The V6 has the older sinlge point injection system (like a mono point injection unit or a carb) and the Evaporator sits JUST nicely next to the Evaporator unit...

Shes back on the road again and just 5 days on the road been to stafford ALREADY! I forgot how responsive the V is over the 4 cyl..

The Turbo WILL going up for sale soon, however, got some mechanical work to do first..
A non functioning turbo, a water coolant leak (bad one too), drivers door lock stopped working, and the PLIP reciver stopped working... Havent tried it in another car yet...

Rgds
PAul

I'd flog all those XM's off and get the 24valve 5spd on the road cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif And find it a couple of sister 24valve 5spders as parts cars ............................ Then figure out how to fit a daravi CX/SM rack. SWMBO is starting to get quite fed up with me cursing the sh!tful XM steering. She thinks it's me with the problem, not the fact the car is 25turns lock to lock (well that's what it seems like anyway laugh.gif ).

seeya,
Shane L.
Citroenmad
[QUOTE=DoubleChevron,Jan 31 2009, 23:37 PM] [QUOTE=citroenxm,Jan 31 2009, 22:35 PM]
not the fact the car is 25turns lock to lock (well that's what it seems like anyway laugh.gif ).

seeya,
Shane L. [/QUOTE]
laugh.gif

You should try parking our traction, it has something like 1 1/2 turns lock to lock. It takes two of us to turn the wheel in the tight space to get it into its garage laugh.gif Its extremely heavy!
DoubleChevron

You should try parking our traction, it has something like 1 1/2 turns lock to lock. It takes two of us to turn the wheel in the tight space to get it into its garage  laugh.gif Its extremely heavy!

We have a little small body Legere.... It's heavy enough.... The weight isn't the problem, it's the appalling steering lock. I'm more than happy with it, she's an old antique, if you want to nice steering get a modern car like an XM.... no,no, hang on there terrible, try a CX ! Actually I don't recall hating the BX's steering, and it's basically a small XM ... I wonder why they made the XM's steering so incredibly low geared, they obviously didn't do that to the BX (or Xantia, but nowhere near as bad) .... hhhmmmm......

Please, please, please can I have a go at drivng your Big 6 user posted image user posted image user posted image

seeya,
Shane L.
Citroenmad
I dont find a problem with the Xms steering, its just like any other modern car i guess.

The big 6 is still resting while we are putting its engine back together after one of the white metal bearings went in 2006. Its been a slow process getting the parts, having the head sorted etc, but we have all of the parts now and its just having the time to get it all together again.

Hopefully it will be going for the summer and we can take it to some more CCC events.
steelcityuk
After a very busy time I can now update this thread a little.

Last Wednesday after work I replace the four 'corner' spheres. Surprisingly easy in view of how grim they looked and it's made no difference whatso ever. Although the electronic side of the hydracti e system works only the front gets softer in soft mode. The rear is exactly the same in either mode. I know the valves are being energized because I can hear them whine then stop with a click 30 seconds after closing a door. So it's either a flat centre sphere or valve problem. I'll start with a sphere as that's easiest. If I have to remove and strip the valve block then that will be ok, I've done several before and know what gunk builds up in them.

The LPG still isn't right yet. I've got the lead and software. But I'm still finding my way. It's better than it was though.

The indicated mileage could be correct (78000). The car seems very solid underneath and all the little bits work as they should. In fact this is the only xm I've had that still has the sunroof emergency handle.

The headlights are fantastic. They are so good I don't use main beam when I would have done on previous Xm's.

Steve.
Dieselman
How do you find the HID's as far as light scatter dazzling other road users.?
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter