Club XM Forum > Hydraulics Issues
rg
Folks,

Just back from a trip to the Deep South, and found the parking brake pedal
suddenly flopping loose. I didn't feel a snap, and the operation was quite
smooth in recent times.

Is there a certain part that snaps or comes off at the pedal end? I seem to
recall it being a pain to get at. I'm guessing at the inner binding due to
lack of lube, and the end rising out of it's slot. There again....

sad.gif

rg
xmexclusive
Hi RG

There is a third cable from the equaliser in the exhaust tunnel. This cable loops up and comes into the car through the front bulkhead by the pedal. The outer sheath stops in a fitting bolted on the outside of the bulkhead and just the cable inner with a soldered nipple comes on through to the pedal link inside the car. The cable outer is a VERY tight fit in the bulkhead fitting. The last one I removed I needed to feed the cable end/nipple back into the fitting and use a punch and a hammer to drive the cable outer out of the fitting. On the outside of the front bulkhead the cable loops behind a large bent wire hook designed to make pulling the released cable out all the more difficult.
This third cable seems to be ignored by most stockists so takes a bit of tracking down to obtain.

John
bobhalliday
Hi rg,
I've just had some fun with the hand brake too, the first thing that happened was a funny feeling of little braking power as if a cable had snapped but no 'snap' I had to remove the eqaliser box to get at it and found one of the cables to the caliper had jumped out of its groove, and the groove is a deep groove! It happened a second time about a month later pre MOT but that was a loud snap! the cable sheared at the O/S Wheel. I bought two new ones on Ebay at £20 each and when I fitted them I put a loop round the cables in the equaliser box just after they enter it to stop them jumping out again. The main cable into the cabin from the equaliser box is more difficult I believe. Hope this helps.
regards.
Bob
rg
Thanks, Bob and John!

I've yet to take a look, but will let you know how I get on

rg
onthecut
QUOTE (rg @ Jan 27 2009, 17:28 PM)
Folks,

Just back from a trip to the Deep South, and found the parking brake pedal
suddenly flopping loose. I didn't feel a snap, and the operation was quite
smooth in recent times.

Is there a certain part that snaps or comes off at the pedal end? I seem to
recall it being a pain to get at. I'm guessing at the inner binding due to
lack of lube, and the end rising out of it's slot. There again.... 

sad.gif

rg

Hi RG

At the risk of stating the obvious, you have checked at the caliper end of the business ? I've had plenty of cables go duff at or around the wheel, but never (famous last words) any bother with the pedal to equalizer one.

Mike.
rg
Thanks, Mike!

Meanwhile...

“The naked, glistening nipple awaited him, expectantly, in the half-light as
he contorted eagerly to reach it.. He shuddered in the thrill of that
long-awaited ultimate, soul-fulfilling connection”

OR..

I managed to sort out the cable, folks. It had, indeed, popped out of the
“holder” and a couple of cable ties around the body of the holder will
suffice to keeping in place for now. The cable is too slack, allowing the
pedal end to pop out. Am I right in thinking that the only means of tension
is via the large nylock-type nuts that bear of the outer, just by the
calipers?

rg
techmanagain
The cable is too slack.........(quote)

Could it be that you have only checked one of the cables to the calipers?
If one has come out, it would suggest to me that the other end of one of the cables (L or R) has become dislodged or broken at the cross-shaft situated behind the tin shield near the exhaust underneath.
I cannot see one cable going slack without it affecting the cable to the caliper on the opposite side.
(My pennyworth for what it is worth!)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter