Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Balljoint

Club XM Forum > XM General Issues
cmacedo
hi

I need to replace the steering right balljoint, can't find even at the dealer, is possible to use one from other car? anyone had replaced this part?

cheers
Caique
Assich
Got mine from Partco no probs.
onthecut
QUOTE (cmacedo @ Jan 26 2009, 18:55 PM)
hi

I need to replace the steering right balljoint, can't find even at the dealer, is possible to use one from other car? anyone had replaced this part?

cheers
Caique

Hi Caique

Exactly which joint are you referring to --- the tie rod end; the lower arm to upright joint ? etc.

Mike.
Andmcit
I wondered the same thing Mike - it's all down to interpretation!

It's like that "passenger side light WANTED" request IIRC here last week;

a side light for the passenger side?

OR is that

actually a main headlight for the passenger side... wacko.gif wacko.gif

AFAIK, watch the V6 tie rod aka track rod end as it's different to other models; thees others do
share a lot of Peugeot/Citroen variants so be very clear what you need and what's on offer! biggrin.gif

Andrew
cmacedo
Hi

Sorry about that and thanks for helping. The joint is the one from the steering rack to the spindle, the cit service says there's two different sizes; 18mm and 22mm, part number 5. How (where) to measure?

Caique
cmacedo
By the way, at cit dealer (2 in my city) they know nothing about XMs, even the number of spheres. One consulting guy said me there's no brake sphere in XM!!!!!
bobhalliday
Hi, I get most of my stuff from a very old establishment called Eddie Walker and they source them fom Linkbelt or a name like that, Mine was the 18mm size last twice. The rod ends are quite small compared to Citreons rod ends but I've had no bother with them.
Regards. Bob.
bobhalliday
Hi Caique
On checking through my old invoices I find that E Walker didn't say what part I had bought, just the part number but if you need to know the part and its number I will get hold of E Walker and find out the part you require and its whereabouts or you could look in at www.eddiewalker.co.uk.
looking at the invoice I think the parts are from FIRST LINE.
Regards. bob.
kenhall1202
Hi Caique,

Citroen Service lists two types of track rod end ball joints and part numbers are:

18mm diameter steering rod
3817-41 (Left side)
3817-42 (Right side)

22mm diameter steering rod
3817-43 (Left side)
3817-44 (Right side)

Each one costs around £31 (UKP) including VAT. Hope this helps.

Ken
xmexclusive
Hi Ciaque

These parts are handed. GSF (www.gsfcarparts.com part no.N43506) do the smaller one for around half that price but do not stock the larger one. I seem to remember that the quoted diameter is the outside diameter of the hollow rod that the track rod end screws into. This causes part of the confusion about this part. Measuring the diameter of the threads on the larger 22mm one gives a dimension of 18mm which is the quoted size of the smaller one. The rest of the confusion is Citroen at its best. They have never fully defined when and which cars are fitted with the larger diameter steering rods to need the larger track rod end. All Mk1's use the smaller ones as do many Mk2's except for 2.5TD's. It also seems that late on in the Mk2 production (1998) they may have changed all the production of XM's to use just the larger track rod end but did not document this at all well.

John

cmacedo
very good tips, thanks
the problem is in Brasil Cit does not have them (18&22) in stock, it must be backordered and takes about 90 days!!!
What I'll try to do is find anything similar from other car (even diferent brand) that fits. Any thoughts?

cheers
Caique
kenhall1202
Do you have a Peugeot dealer available? The 605 and 607 models share the same four steering ball joint part numbers with Citroen (381741, 2, 3 & 4)

Ken
kenhall1202
Hi Caique,

I have just had a look through my XM spares and have found a brand new right hand tie rod end to suit the smaller diameter tie rod (18mm). It was a forgotten about impulse buy from ebay and unfortunately will not fit my XM which has the larger 22mm tie rods.

The part is good quality (Delphi / AP Lockheed) Part No TA1155 for a Peugeot 605.

I suggest two possible options if this part is of interest to you:

1. Try and source this Delphi part in Brazil from a motor spares factor.

2. PM or Skype me and we can look at the cheapest way of getting the part to you in Brazil or Germany (if you still plan to visit).

Ken

PS If anyone else is interested I also have a matching 18mm tie rod surplus to requirements.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter