Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Bx's Hydraulic Pump

Club XM Forum > Hydraulics Issues
citroeneer
Hi there,

Recently noticed the Hydraulic Pump on my 93' S1 XM had developed some external leak.It sprayed some LHM on the alternator below. Not major though.

Couldnt source any good conditioned XM's pump and my mech managed to install a BX's pump which he claims is equally good.

Now the question is, does the BX pump work as effectively though i see this as a temporary measure and its noisy.
Aerodynamica
Interesting! I thought the BX pump had a completely different pulley to the XM. The BXpump is a 5 piston pump and is a high output pump (compared to the previous 7 piston DS/CX item) so if it was mounted correctly and arranged so that its speed relative to the engine speed was right then it's probably up to the task. Isn't the Xantia pump closer in design to the XM one though?
citroenxm
No the Xantia one has a COMPLETELY different pully on it.. Xantia employs the multi ridged belt were as the XM is the Vee belt! And it also changed from M reg to the 6 +2 pump... The Xantia only got the BX type hydraluic system for K and L reg and EVEN some L reg cars have the 6+2 system...

Is the XM a DERV (2.1) or Petrol 4 cyl XM, or a V6 XM. The DERV (2.1)and Petrol 4 cyl XM's use IDENTICAL pumps and are even mounted in the same place!!

Ive a couple of Petrol 4 cyl/DERV pumps, and a hand full of V6 Pumps..

The bodys are all the same but the Petrol/ DERV pumps use a much bigger Pully then the V6 pump (Im ONLY talking Series one cars)

The Petrol 4cyl Pumps are in good order, one is still fitted to the engine and non have leaks..

Lucky you found the leak, as LHM can kill an altinator if left to wet it for long enough!

BX Pullys are smaller in diamiter arent they??

Rgds
Paul
UFO
Make sure you are all talking about the same BXs and XMs.

eg A BX 16v pump will fit and does work for a 12v V6 XM as they both run the pumps in the opposite direction to "normal" A standard BX pump will not work on a V6 XM as it does not get turned in the correct direction. Ask me how I know?

With the multitude of engine types and therefore pump and pulley types in XMs we need to be careful about general advice lacking specifics.

Also, is it possible for people to refer to cars by their build year rather than reg type? Your K reg, L reg stuff means nothing to people outside the UK.
citroeneer
Hi guys,

Well the BX pump required no modification at at. Just plug and play.

But I did find the ride slightly harsh and brakes not up to the par. The pump does look slightly smaller. Ok for the meantime, as there aren't any external leaks.

Wish i was in the UK smile.gif kinda hard to source for specific parts for the XM over here.
A brand new pump is twice the price of my car.

Btw, mine's a 2.0i 8V Petrol.
Jan-hendrik
QUOTE (UFO @ Jan 9 2009, 02:26 AM)
Make sure you are all talking about the same BXs and XMs.

Also, is it possible for people to refer to cars by their build year rather than reg type? Your K reg, L reg stuff means nothing to people outside the UK.

I'd like to echo that. The vehicles have orga numbers that . . . rolleyes.gif
citroenxm
Yes peoples, ok, thats the lazy part in my and being "Head in sand" not thinking about our great fellows outside of the uk... blink.gif ph34r.gif

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter