Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Very Stiff This Morning

Club XM Forum > Hydraulics Issues
Pages: 1, 2
Gav
with -5 on the temp reading this morning and a juddery start as the various cylinders kicked in all was normal. but by the time i had de-iced the windows and got back in i had expected the hydraulics to be fully up to pressure. the suspension certainly was.

however for several miles the steering was very stiff, both directions.

is something failing in there somewhere?

also, the brake pedal seemed slow to respond, on and off. I am putting this down the dossier linkage needing some lube (the dossier valve itself was replaced a couple of years ago)

anybody else experiencing these problems in cold weather?
xmexclusive
Hi Gav

Only ventured out yesterday after noon but same problems as you for the first few miles.

John
minijet
In sub zero temps mine takes several minutes before the red 'low hydraulic pressure' warning light goes out and the car lifts up.

I imagine that the lhm is very thick and doesn't flow so well when it's at very low temp.

I wonder how Colin.P (colinxm) manages in his sub zero winter wonderland?

Can lhm freeze? unsure.gif

onthecut
Hi Guys.

Ditto. Steering very erratic and heavy until some warmth in the system and definitely slower to rise. First one I've had these symptoms with. Interestingly, the Xantia I've had knocking around over Christmas seemed unaffected.

Mike.
regdorpten
Oh, you mean the car? :-)
ThwartedEfforts
^^ ew

I'd left the XM on low setting a few weeks back and in the morning frost there was a CRUNCH! as it pulled itself up from its haunches. Shan't be doing that again.

Have to say though, hadn't noticed the car feeling in any way stiffer than before.
minijet
QUOTE (regdorpten @ Jan 7 2009, 12:42 PM)

Oh, you mean the car? :-)

That title is a bit misleading........

..........Lol tongue.gif
Ciaran
My S1 steering was fine this morning (minus temp), but strangely sometimes its heavy on warmish days from first start... it never is in the cold though, explain that laugh.gif

One thing that did freeze last night though (on both XMs) were the (heated?) washer jets. We were coming up the motorway after collecting the S2 again, and Leanne rang me (hands free of course laugh.gif ) from a few cars back, and said "My washer jets are frozen!!". I said "Congratulations", tried my own washers and all I got was bleeep - 'FILL WINDSHIELD WASHER HAHA' rolleyes.gif but no water on the screen, so I said "If its any consolation, looks like mine are froze too, but more to the point, what would you like me to do about it here and now in the dead of night on the outside lane of the motorway!? " laugh.gif

They'd thawed out this morning though, suspect it was severe windchill or something...

Ciarán
rowanmoor
QUOTE (Ciaran @ Jan 7 2009, 15:06 PM)
They'd thawed out this morning though, suspect it was severe windchill or something...

Or just rubbish additive like mine.
colinxm
He he he Minijet, I have absolutely no problems rising early in the morning - proven down to minus 20 degrees biggrin.gif

seriously though, my suspension rises quickly as usual and there's no stiffness in the steering either BUT, my xm started out as a poverty spec Norwegian special and doesn't have hydractive suspension sad.gif it's basically an oversize BX. Perhaps the problems some are experiencing during the cold snap lie somewhwere in the hydractive circuit.

Best wishes, Colin.P
Gav
maybe this should become the 'carry on XM inning' thread

judging by the viewing figures of this thread perhaps people were expecting something else tongue.gif

zee
hi all i was going to post with the same problem slow to rise ect also my brakes are frozen on first thing then seem to delay releasing for a short while until warm also whats the electric motor in drivers side wing that comes on when key is turned on ps this is my first xm aint they complicated il have to arrange a pm with demag/on the cut if poss to see if ive got a shed or not yours alan(zee) 2.5 vsx estate
colinxm
Quote "maybe this should become the 'carry on XM inning' thread"

All together now in your best plummy, nasal voices "Ooooohh Yeeeeess"

biggrin.gif Colin.P
Citroenmad
QUOTE (ThwartedEfforts @ Jan 7 2009, 13:23 PM)
^^ ew

I'd left the XM on low setting a few weeks back and in the morning frost there was a CRUNCH! as it pulled itself up from its haunches. Shan't be doing that again.

Have to say though, hadn't noticed the car feeling in any way stiffer than before.

I always leave mine in low unless im going to be using it the next day, there is never any funny noises?!

Although i have had the slightly heavy steering, yesterday in fact, didnt put it down to the cold but i guess thats a good reason wink.gif It doenst stay lumpy and only usually when its bringing itself up to normal or high.
dean

Are you sure you trailing arm bearings are ok and your rear wheels arent / \ ?

D
Pages: 1, 2
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter