Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Slugomatic Gearboxes

Club XM Forum > XM General Issues
DoubleChevron
Hi Guys,

the god awful slugomatic is playing up in the XM here. Does anyone know if I 406 2.1TD gearbox fits into an XM so I can chuck the auto in the bin where it belongs ?? (if the 406 gearbox fits, all I'd need to do is chase up linkage/console from the UK smile.gif ).

seeya,
Shane L.
Andmcit
Sad news Shane!

What's the box doing exactly - not locking up in top or no forward drive whatsoever?
Can't help with the compatibility with other models mind but it is the infamous ropey
ZF 4HP18 pile of poo!

Andrew
DoubleChevron
I went and picked up a cubbyhouse today .... All was fine until I loaded the cubbyhouse on .... Then the transmission started slipping in 4thgear, just like a manual gearbox clutch would when worn and loaded in a high gear. The gearbox is working perfectly when not pulling a loaded trailer, however obviously the clutchpack is approaching the end of it's service life. Hmmm.... A nice proper gearbox would be great !@!!]

seeya,
Shane L.
lez
Ouch, you do seem to have some bad luck over there.

thing is even if it slips with a trailer, it could still no doubt last quite a while on its own, maybe the stress is just too much for the clutch springs etc.

just put whole car up for bits on ebay buts wrong side of the world i'm afraid
DoubleChevron
I wonder how much it would cost to ship the engine/gearbox/selector assembly over here smile.gif

I'd love to convert this car to have a proper gearbox !

seeya,
Shane L.
Andmcit
Engine AS WELL AS manual gearbox and selector linkage is a tad ambitious!!

Sure a gearbox would probably crate up quite easily but to find a spare 2.1 in good order not
still driving the Xm may be more of a challenge than getting it shipped to your end of the world!!

Don't forget the pedalbox, clutch and cable too.

Andrew
Andmcit
Shane, check out:

http://club-xm.com/forum/index.php?showto...t=0&#entry32514

Andrew
citroenxm
Ahh daammm, I did have a box here, but used it to repair my 24v manual box, and no I didn't swap any ratios over!

Manual boxes are a bit rare in these...

Paul
DoubleChevron
Thanks Guys,

Yeah I know, it wouldn't be simple to convert it. I just don't like the huge $$$$ that you need to sink into these gearboxes (so that you can have a car that's cr@p to drive). I could probably convert the car for much the same cost as replacing the clutch packs in the slugomatic .... Hmmmm..... If only I could find the parts somewhere.

I swore I'd never allow another bloody auto into this household. The biggest issue is I have the CX is 1/2 billion bits, and I still need to whip it's motor out to change the clutch. this leaves me with no car to drive (and no car for my wife to drive) if I do anything to the XM. I was thinking I'd take my time and get the CX back together by easter with duel air-con fitted, new wiring, new clutch, fully insulated inside and out, new polished alluminium heat shields etc..... Now it looks like I'll have to tear the motor out and try and get it back together ASAP sad.gif 'Cos if the XM decides to stop, we are left without transport (bloody typical, there must be 18cars in the yard, and bloody nothing to drive ... sigh ....).

seeya,
Shane L.
lez
QUOTE (Andmcit @ Dec 20 2008, 22:16 PM)

Sure a gearbox would probably crate up quite easily but to find a spare 2.1 in good order not
still driving the Xm may be more of a challenge than getting it shipped to your end of the world!!

your comment has me confused, are you saying 2.1td engines in good condition are hard to find? I have 2 as spares i have never needed, and one in the car i am currently scrapping on ebay.

weak spot on them is the lucas diesel pump, timing belt, and head gasket, in that order.

other than tha, expect 300,000 miles with no issues.

the engine in the car i have on ebay pulls away 0-20mph faster than my v6, then the v6 catches it up and wins, but its an auto so is sow to start

DerekW
Go on Shane, overhaul the gearbox. Then you can explain to us how to do it. biggrin.gif

You know it makes sense!

Derek
DoubleChevron
QUOTE (DerekW @ Dec 21 2008, 15:33 PM)
Go on Shane, overhaul the gearbox. Then you can explain to us how to do it. biggrin.gif

You know it makes sense!

Derek

I'd do that .... But there is just one small problem .... At the end of the exercise, I'm still stuck with a god awful slugomatic gearbox in the car !!! user posted image user posted image

Think about it ... for the same cost you could probably put in a proper gearbox user posted image

seeya,
Shane L.
citroenxm
I cant see why not either as long as you have the manual car to donate everything...

My second V6, a black one, had been converted from an Auto to a manual by a non mechanic owner! So I have every faith in you Shane that you could do it NO PROBLEM with all the parts needed.. now ... a whip round everyone to send the parts to shane to sort his car prehaps?? biggrin.gif cool.gif

Rgds
Paul
citroenxm
Here you are shane!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/94-PEUGEOT-605-SRDT-...%3A1|240%3A1318

Pity yur on the wrong side of the world!!!

Good ole Bosch fuel system too!!

Its a later unit from around 1994 onwards, dur to the metal inlet manifold..

Yes yes! It says auto, but look at the pictures and you'll see a manual stick!!

Rgds
paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2022 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter