Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Steering Hard

Club XM Forum > Hydraulics Issues
cmacedo
Hi
Sometimes my steering becomes hard, I just added Total hydraflush, will this solve the problem?

thanks

Caique
Peter.N.
Hi Caique

If its only happening accaisionally the most likely problem is that the hydraulic pump drive belt is slipping, try tightening it.

Peter.N.
Jan-hendrik
QUOTE (cmacedo @ Dec 20 2008, 01:47 AM)
Hi
Sometimes my steering becomes hard, I just added Total hydraflush, will this solve the problem?

thanks

Caique

Under what circumstances?
cmacedo
Peter

When parking, when you have to turn the wheel faster, under normal driving its very light. Thank you

Caique
Peter.N.
Could be the belt, try that first.
Jan-hendrik
Low tire inflation, low rpm smile.gif
kenhall1202
Hi Caique,

From previous posts I believe that your XM has the DIRAVI type power steering which should be as light as a feather at parking speeds (maximum power assistance). Is the low speed steering affected equally on both right and left turning or just in one direction? If steering is only hard in one direction then this would suggest a problem in the DIRAVI control unit (a well known problem on the Citroen CX model but largely unknown on UK XM's because they were not sold here with the DIRAVI option).

Ken
cmacedo
Hi Ken
happens both directions, is the DIRAVI control unit inside the rack? hidraflush will help solve this?

cheers

Caique
kenhall1202
Hi Caique

I can't claim any first hand knowledge of the XM DIRAVI installation - my experience came from fixing my last CX, however I believe the basic operating principle is the same.

There are four main elements to DIRAVI:

1. The steering rack which incorporates a built in double acting piston fed with HP LHM from the control unit.
2. The hydraulic control unit mounted in the car between the steering wheel and the rack pinion. This unit also incorporates the self centring return piston.
3. The centrifugal governor mounted at the back of the engine compartment and driven from the gearbox. This unit varies the amount of steering power assistance (LHM pressure) according to the car's speed. At low speed the maximum amount of power assistance is available (eg when parking). At higher speeds the power assistance is reduced proportionately and the steering becomes firmer in order to give straight line stability and to prevent over correction when the steering wheel is moved.
4 An additional accumulator sphere (if fitted) providing a reserve of LHM for the brakes and steering.

Your problem of hard low speed steering maybe related to a governor fault and/or the accumulator sphere may be flat but those are just guesses.

There are inline filters incorporated in the control unit and maybe elsewhere, which Hydraflush may help to clean.

I would suggest you discuss the problem with Martin from Pleiades in the UK. They have years of experience of fault finding and overhauling Citroen hydraulic components and may be able to more accurately diagnose your problem.

Ken
kenhall1202
Hi Caique

You might find this CX topic of interest re DIRAVI.

http://club-xm.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4124&st=20

Ken
cmacedo
Folks

I removed the steer sphere and went to dealer to check pressure; 7bar.
They don’t have any in stock, so I replaced with the old acc one (35bar left) and it’s a little better. I had to remove the pipes and support, very easy. I also pressed the brake pedal several times, but some pressure stills there. Once prepared no spray in the eyes, thanks!!!
The amazing point is that I didn’t even had to bleed brakes, is that a must?

Cheers

Caique
PS: it's much easier to remove air deflector- 4 bolts- before working.
techmanagain
You are likely to find some air has entered the braking system and that the air will eventually find its way into the system giving the effect of a delayed brake application when the foot is first pushing on the pedal. Not a nice feeling at all!! Should this happen to your brakes, waste no more time - bleed the system. Back brakes first, making sure there are no bubbles coming out with the LHM, then the front brakes.
Have a good supply of LHM to allow you to be sure you have driven all the air out of the rear brakes.
cmacedo
Tech

I drove the car in the field of my parents house, where we have a quite long driveway (my garage is there), and everything was ok. After that drove about 6 miles in the street, fine also. So I think I am more lucky than should be. Thank you very much for advising, tomorrow will bleed anyway.
Question fo the day: where are the dam bolts to bleed the system? believe me, I just didn't remove wheels trying to find!!!

cheers
Caique
techmanagain
There are bleed nipples on each of the four brake calipers.
Use only a 6 (?) mm ring spanner to loosen them, otherwise you will be likely to round-off their corners. A piece of transparent tube fitted over the nipple with the lower end in a jar/bottle will let you see any air bubbles in the fluid as it comes out. Have the engine idling and the car set at maximum suspension height with a tool wedging the brake pedal on, and you will have sufficient pressure to drive the LHM fluid out when the bleed nipple is released slightly.
As the car will be suppported without the wheels on, take ALL the necessary precautions to prevent the supports moving.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter