Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Inner Parking Brake Cable...

Club XM Forum > XM General Issues
Ciaran
Afternoon guys,

I was wondering, does anyone have some info on the inner parking brake cable, i.e where its routed, how it attaches etc?

Leanne was driving the S2 the other day and went to apply the parking brake, it started to go down normally, but about halfway she said there was a 'ping' and the pedal lost resistance (though the ratchets still clicked).

After a (limited) investigation - I was balancing upside down in the footwell with my feet on black ice - I cannot see the cable anywhere, not only is it not attached to the pedal, its nowhere to be found in the surrounding area.
Any pointers as to where the cable goes inside and out, how its attached, and any other relevant information would be very much appreciated it anyone knows. A diagram would be even better, if there is such a thing laugh.gif (I did search but can't turn up anything).

Cheers

Ciarán
robertxmb
Hi Ciaran,
I assume from your post it is the pedal to equaliser cable. I have not replaced that one but "that" book says:

Under car: unbolt cover of P/B equaliser (where cables are attached).Unhook end of cable from equaliser and remove cable from locating brackets -note routing.

Engine comp. bulkhead: Unscrew the two nuts holding the cable plate to the bulkhead. Access to these nuts is extremely difficult (no surprise there!).

Drivers footwell: Slide the plastic cover from the end of the P/B lever then unhook the cable end from the lever.
Back to engine comp. then pull the cable through the bulkhead.

Refitting is reverse of above but ensure cable correctly routed. I usually tape a wire to cables before removal and use again to install to make sure.

No doubt someone who has done the job will be along with a few tips but hope that helps.

Regards, Robert.
kenhall1202
Hi Ciaran

Here is Citroen's exploded diagram of the RHD 'handbrake' for what its worth. It looks like the cable (item 4) goes through the bulkhead to the pedal lever and the other end of course goes to the equaliser. I have never had to replace this one but have replaced the the left and right cables more than once.

Ken
Ciaran
Robert, Ken,

Thanks very much for the advice and handy diagram.

Robert, yep you're correct, its the pedal to equaliser cable. The outer cables are fine thankfully, replaced them a couple of years ago as they were in a hell of a state (i.e snapped in two) when I bought the car.

Interestingly, there is no sign of the cable anywhere around the pedals, I'm presuming its somehow been pulled out through the bulkhead or something... I can't even see the hole in the floor where its supposed to come through, I guess refitting its gonna be fun...

I don't know if it requires a special fixing at the pedal end or what, though I imagine anything like that would come with the new cable, or am I just filled with too much pre Christmas optimism?

Cheers

Ciarán
kenhall1202
Here are the part numbers and descriptions etc. Just noticed another cable (Item 5).
Is this an additional cable or an alternative to Item 4? Hmmm!
Ciaran
Thanks again Ken, much appreciated!

Was there meant to be a diagram on the document? The only reason I ask is the forum is doing its corrupted download stunt, so I've had to save the file as text only...

Cheers

Ciarán
kenhall1202
Hi Ciaran

I pinched the info off the Citroen Service site which has the exploded diagram and text alongside. However my computer skills are insufficient to make a like for like copy which I can post on the forum. Anybody know how??

I have copied the text again and saved it as an htm file - see how this works.

If all else fails then sign up for Citroen Service - its well worth it (as I've said many times before)

Ken
robertxmb
Hi Ciaran,

Item 4 seems to be the part you need. Part no 96026870, about £30 from Cit. if necessary. I think item 5 that Ken referred to is the release ratchet cable. Page 819 of the XM2 parts pdf has a clearer diagram of the pedal end of things.
If you free the cable at the other points to give some waggle room it may help to locate it at the pedal end.

Regards, Robert
Ciaran
Hi folks,

Ken that newly saved file works fine, cheers biggrin.gif

Robert cheers for that part number, I notice GSF list a "HANDBRAKE CABLE XM PRIMARY" (N73124), which is seperate from the left and right hand cables which they also list.
Would it be wishful thinking to assume this is the same part?

Ciarán
robertxmb
Hi Ciaran,

The GSF one seems to fit the description, and should cost less.There appear to be two versions RHD all except ZPJ4 Long 964 and RHD ZPJ4 Long1124.
I assume Long means length in mm so would be a cross check to ensure the GSF part you mentioned is the right one for your car.

Regards,Robert
Ciaran
Thanks a million Robert.

Will post up what transpires smile.gif

Ciarán
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2022 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter