Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Radio

Club XM Forum > XM General Issues
sophie
I have an old original cassette-radio in my '94 XM, I want to make it play MP3, any ideas howto accoplish it?:>

Or if I buy a new radio(I dont want to, wont fit my XM look:) will it work with the wheel keys?
Andmcit
If you go down the route of changing the radio you need something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=160291472819

What may influence what you need to interface an MP3 player with the existing standard Xm
radio is what particular MP3 player you have - there are MANY ways of sending a signal to the
radio via a small personal 'broadcast' signal that you tune the radio into to receive and play!

Andrew
peterh
Another option would be a device that looks like a Compact Cassette with a wire with a headphone jack coming out of it. Push the cassette in the cassette player, push the headphone jack in your MP3 player and hey presto... Musica, maestro!

Belkin sells them - plus I've got one here that I won't use anymore.
Citroenmad
I am also looking for a way to connect my ipod to the car. Ive looked at the radio transmitting signals but there are some reviews about the loss in quality over using a cable from the radio.

I think ill try the radio broadcaster first, as that would be much easier when swapping from car to car.
archman1
I have an Ipod FM transmitter - I plug it into the back seat cigarette lighter and put the ipod in the centre armrest. Works just great. I think it is one of the Ipod Trip models. Tune the FM to the right frequency, make it one of the presets and you are away.
Steve
Citroenmad
One of the things my Sx doesn not have compared to the VSX is a rear cigarette lighter! dry.gif I supose its not impossible to fit one though.
peterh
I wonder why you would go through that trouble if you have a working cassette player. The cassette option is cheaper -- and sounds better too.
Citroenmad
Yup ive thought about that too, its possibly the best way around it. It just means there will be wires on display and not as neat as it being hidden in the armrest.
jorgy9
QUOTE (peterh @ Nov 24 2008, 18:29 PM)
. The cassette option is cheaper -- and sounds better too.

Does it (sound better)??

I'm using one to drive my mp3 player and u get the typical disproportionately increasing noise as u increase volume from a cassete player. If u think that both my mp3 and radiocassete volumes must be near their above 20 (on a 30-scale) to get a decent music volume...u can see I'm not happy with it. Is yours not like that? I always thought a radio-transmission would fundamentally do a much better job?

The other thing I was thinking about is wiring an in-line directly somewhere on my stereo (CD input? tape input?) but, as I have no idea of those things,....

cheers
George
peterh
QUOTE (jorgy9 @ Nov 25 2008, 00:18 AM)
QUOTE (peterh @ Nov 24 2008, 18:29 PM)
. The cassette option is cheaper -- and sounds better too.

Does it (sound better)??

I'm using one to drive my mp3 player and u get the typical disproportionately increasing noise as u increase volume from a cassete player. If u think that both my mp3 and radiocassete volumes must be near their above 20 (on a 30-scale) to get a decent music volume...u can see I'm not happy with it. Is yours not like that? I always thought a radio-transmission would fundamentally do a much better job?

It does.

I think the Belkin unit I have does some preamplification. It's definitely louder than an earlier unit I had. I can now turn the volume on my Zen op to 50% and leave the volume on the radio as it is, to get the same volume level.

The other thing is that the FM transmitters need to be very good to reach the same quality level. The ones I tried (from Apple as well as a brand I forgot) introduced noise (the Apple) and had a tendency to walk away from its FM band on temperature variation (the other one).

<Off-topic>
By far the best solution is a head unit with MP3, or imho even better, WMA processing capability, a USB connection - preferably at the rear, so as to avoid unsightly cabling. In that way, you use the player only as a storage device - all signal processing is then done by the head unit (which is usually better at it - and if you're lucky, you can even select your music from the head unit, thus allowing you to leave the player, connected to (and charging from!) the USB connection, in the glove box. A one cable solution that does it all (sound quality as good as it gets from WMA, minimum of connecting effort, no cabling visible).

And that's the setup I'll run.
</Off-topic>
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2022 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter