Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Fuel Tank Capacity

Club XM Forum > XM General Issues
DerekW
Rob (Little and Large) wrote in a different posting "(I never fill it to the gunnels like I used to with the 2.1,but I am sure you can just about get 90 litres(20 galls)in them."

That's been my experience too. Some years ago I took my V6, low on fuel but with the needle still indicating some contents, into a local Esso station. Filling it to the brim I got 18.2 gallons into a tank that was supposed to hold 17.6. Naturally miffed, I wrote to the local Standards office. They asked which pump I had used and then replied a week later that they had visited the service station and checked that particular pump, it was actually under reading by 0.5%!

So do we have elastic tanks?

Derek
xmexclusive
Hi Derek

No it is all in the filler which has quite a large capacity that is not included in the stated tank capacity. I will have a tank and filler off in one piece soon to cut up and go to scrap. If I get the chance I will measure the capacity of the tank and the filling tubes.

John
Peter.N.
The first time I filled the black hatch was when diesel was at its highest, although it was in Trago mills which is usually about 5p cheaper, I got up to £100.00 and decided to call a halt! ohmy.gif

Peter.
Jan-hendrik
QUOTE (xmexclusive @ Nov 20 2008, 19:18 PM)
Hi Derek

No it is all in the filler which has quite a large capacity that is not included in the stated tank capacity. I will have a tank and filler off in one piece soon to cut up and go to scrap. If I get the chance I will measure the capacity of the tank and the filling tubes.

John

I would be very surprised if the filler held 10 litres.
This topic has been discussed before, BTW.
Once when the fuel warning light came on and I dropped in at the nearest filling station the car took 90 litres. The attendant thought that was a good nice round figure, so she didn't attempt to pump in more biggrin.gif
rowanmoor
QUOTE (Peter.N. @ Nov 20 2008, 21:35 PM)
The first time I filled the black hatch was when diesel was at its highest, although it was in Trago mills which is usually about 5p cheaper, I got up to £100.00 and decided to call a halt! ohmy.gif

I discovered a while back that some filling stations have a £100 limit on their pumps and require you to go in and pay for that before continuing. Needless to say I don't frequent them any more - even now it is back down below £100 per tank.

Almost as silly as the 'pay at the pump' stations where there is a £50 or £60 limit on paying at the pump.
Ciaran
Mine varies, I've crammed in 92 litres to the S1 before, but that was after driving with the light on for about two days (something I never usually do, as the tank is normally never below half full), but other times it seems to only want to take 85 or so...

I must admit the £100 fillups were making me cry though laugh.gif

Ciarán
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2022 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter