Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Oil Consumption 3.0 V6

Club XM Forum > Petrol Specific Issues
xmexclusive
Hi All

Have now done about 3000 miles in the V6 and only just thought to check the oil level. It had dropped to below the minimum and it took 2 ltrs to top it up. There has been no oil of any kind dropped on the driveways so it has burnt it all. Is this to be expected with 164k on the clock? My excuse is that I am used to TD's which do not seem to use any oil between changes so I have got lax about checking.
Last weekend my daughter used it and complained that it had no performance at all. I unfortunately topped up the oil without driving it so got Sarah to take it out and show me the poor performance. She said that it was now totally different, more like her 2.3 ltr Beetle. Does low oil cut in the ECU to limp mode?

Regards

XMexc
rosspa
I used to run a 3.0l V6 24 valve, up until it expired for reasons unknown, it used no measureable oil between changes (fully synthetic). I would think that something is not right. You did check the oil on level ground at least 2 minutes after switching off? It does take some time for the oil to drain back into the sump.
rosspa
Forgot to add that when I replaced the car, it had over 220,000 miles on the clock. 85,000 with me. I changed both head gaskets (separately) whilst I had the car. They corrode away and then blow. I also changed the heater matrix 3 times. Overall the car averaged 24mpg and was fast and confortable. After limping home one day, I parked in a back street. I was working away and had to have a car, so I bought a Honda. But I never did get it started, or discover what went wrong. I gave it to a guy for free, if he came and collected it. I couldn't live with the Honda's suspension, so bought another XM, a diesel this time. Half the fuel consumption! I still like the V6 and don't let anyone tell you that the 24V were rubish either.
xmexclusive
Hi Rosspa

Thanks for your comments which were very helpful. I think it was nose up on a gently sloping drive. I will have to check again after the weekend when it comes back from Birmingham. Perhaps its not drinking quite as much oil as I thought. I also have to check to see if the height selector plastic is stopping full movement, another little gem from the excellent contributors to this superb web site.

Regards

XMexc
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter