Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Cv Joint

Club XM Forum > XM General Issues
Caroline
Hi
We need to change the driver's outer CV joint but been told that we need to find out if it is 48 or 29 spline. Can you please tell us how we can find this out? Only had the car a few months and know little about it.

Many thanks, Caroline
Andmcit
Hi Caroline,

Welcome to the forum BTW!

To help determine what you need some of the details of your Xm would help fill in some gaps;

engine ie. Petrol/diesel
and gearbox ie. Auto/manual
and model year.

Additional help for parts referencing is the RP (replacement parts) number on the passenger
side front door pillar which will be a four digit number halfway up in yellow or White.

Andrew
Caroline
Hi thanks for this and for your warm welcome.

It is a 2.0 petrol engine 1992 (XM prestige).

Thanks for any help.
dean
Hi Caroline

And, again, welcome to the forum.
Is it auto or manual, the auto uses bigger V6 size shafts, the manual ones are much smaller.

Regards
D
xmexclusive
Hi Caroline

It might be worth checking out ebay under "Citroen XM" as there is a seller currently offering a variety of new XM drive shafts for around £70 plus P&P. If he has the one you need that could be as cheap an option as rebuilding a joint particularly if you are paying for labour.

John
dean
Hi

I will count the splines on my auto's cvj's tonight and post the results on here tomorrow, but i would have thought wherever you get a new cvj the supplyer should know which one you need.........
Sounds like John is onto a winner there though, like you say, i doubt you could get the just the cvj for £70!

Dean
Andmcit
Isn't it someone like Sparesuneed?

Andrew
noz
Hi Caroline,

If you pm me your VIN number I can look it up on the Citroen parts database.

Cheers

noz cool.gif
dean
Sorry

It wasnt till i got home this weekend i realised that the spare cvj's i have are still bolted to the hubs so there was no way of getting them off without much cutting and swearing, hope you got it sorted out ok.

Regards
D

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2022 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter