Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Random Starter

Club XM Forum > Diesel Specific Issues
Zaphod
Got a problem with the starter on my 2.1 TD auto. most of the time it's fine, but sometimes it refuctes to work at all, but I get a click from the back of he car?. However when it does this if I take a peice of wire from the +ve on the battery and put it in the 12v feed to the starter soloniod it works and fires up almost instantly (So the starter itself is fine) Not sure if there is a relay that might be dying or the auto selector (working the selctor when its misbehaving seems to make no differance)

Stewart

techmanagain
Could be something simple like a poor earth connevtion to the chassis from the battery. I too have had this problem and solution.
xmexclusive
Hi Stewart

I agree with Techman that checking the battery terminal condition is well worthwhile. Meanwhile If you try the ignition switch a few times holding it in a little longer than seems natural you might find that it is the ignition switch that is playing dead sometimes by not making all of the contacts correctly.

John
Peter.N.
Hi Stewart

I had a similar problem on my sons P100 and almost unbelievably, the power lead to the solonoid from the battery was intermittently making contact with the solonoid although the nut was done up tight! I wire brushed the tag and screw, re connected it and its never missed since.

Peter.N.
Zaphod
Found it, was the starter inhibitor realy dying.. now repalced, now works fine!

Stewart
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter