Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Keycode Thingy

Club XM Forum > XM General Issues
chadders
Hi all

My new 2.5 (yippeee) has service code activated, and car dealer has no information.

1. Is it possible to deactivate the service code in favour of something not written on the visor without knowing original code?

2. Do service codes "expire"...i.e will I find my car unstartable one day if I can't change the code?

I have already tried swapping the keypad in the hope that the code was stored in there, but NO!

Anyone????
Niek
Hi chadders,

1: I'm pretty sure you cannot deactivate the service code without knowing the 'real' code. In fact I'd be sure enough never to try it. I think that if you do mess up, you either have to get a new engine computer (this is where the code is stored) or maybe go to the stealers.
2: Again, I'm pretty sure that they don't expire. (and I really hope so for you rolleyes.gif )

ps: could you take some pictures of what the wireing of your AC looks like. I seem to have lots of wires lying around including two relays??
xmexclusive
Hi Chadders

I have had a look in my handbook for one of my 1995 TD 2.5's. This gives two options for setting the neutral mode if a vehicle is to go into a garage. Use D/N switch or enter code 0000. In my experience most people set code 1111 if the car is to go into a garage for repair. This seems to suggest that the confidential code is being reset to 1111. I have had four cars come my way set like this and have in my ignorance happily reset three of them to other codes without problems from 1111. I am still using 1111 on the other one and you have got me worried that I should not risk resetting it. Not sure how much this helps your problem. If I pluck up courage and try the last one I will let you know the result.

Regards

XMexc
xmexclusive
Hi Chadders

Have now come back from a week away. Did not want to risk a reset that locked the car up while we were driving around Norfolk and 150 miles from home. Now back home I have tried the reset to another cade from 1111 without problems so this "garage" code is just setting a new security code on a temporary basis and replaces any previous code so can then be reset to any other number you chose to select.
I have tried to follow the wiring diagrams for the PLIP receiver and have noticed that in one for later cars (diag 672-2/50e) an extra wire (sixth) is connected from the plip receiver to the security keypad. I have not tracked the ORGA no. for this change but think it was somewhere between 6749 and 6820. Not yet sure what it does unless it allows pressing the Plip to automatically enter the keypad number when you release the door locks. When convinent I will look and count the number of wires to the plip controller on my newer cars to see if any have more than five wires. The keypads have one key that is marked differently in some of the cars. (D, D/S, S) are used. I will search the manuals to see if there is a difference in function that I have not previously recognised.

Regards

XMexc

DerekW
It's interesting that the procedures for initial programming of your code and for changing your code are identical. You enter the current code (for initial programming 1111), press "c", then enter the new code and press "c" again. It seems logical that if you were selling the car you would reprogramme the code to 1111, not as a service code but as a new code number that can easily be changed by the new owner.

If you aren't prepared to try that, your only course of action would be to contact the previous owner. I would think that trying it would be safe even if it didn't work, you have to allow for someone in a garage playing silly buggers when the car is in service code.

xmexclusive
Hi Chadders

Have now looked though the manuals. I and assuming that you have a post 1995 Mk2 with a S on trhe keypad rather than D or D/N. If so i have a little 12 page manual on the coded anti-theft device published by Citroen in March 1996. I will see if I can scan it into a self help file. If you want a photcpy posted then let me know. It says that the service mode will be cancelled as soon as your personal code is entered. This suggests that your current service code setting will not expire until the exising unkown personal code is entered correctly. The manual also states that 3 wrong key codes locks up the system for 30 mins and there is an ignition on/off sequence to go through. So the damage to the electronic ignition is simply not knowing the release number and not having the 10 months to continuously sit there and punch in consequtive numbers, look for a green, get a red, then wait for the time out and try the next number.

From the study of the owners manuals by default Citron have indicated a possible way of guessing the personal code. I checked through about 7 different owners manuals for various car years. Up until 1994 the delay was 1 min not 30 mins so trying all 9999 numbers only takes about 10 days. About 1992 Citroen start telling owners to use white spirit to clean the key pad. In one of the manuals around 1996 they tell you why. It is to remove any dust film that has built up as only the few buttons being used every day will be free of dust. Have a look at the keypad with a magnifying glass you might just see 3 or 4 rubber keys that are cleaner than the rest, or at least different in some way from use. This might give you an idea of which permutations to try. I suggest that you only try a maximum of two numbers at a time then use the ignition on /off sequence to avoid the 30 min lock up.

To all you other owners join me in now regularly wiping the keypad with white spirt to keep the stealers away from gessing the code to start my pride and joy.
xmexclusive
Hi All

My last comment in the previous item was meant to be a bit of a joke until I looked a one of my cars keypads and realised there is a real need to clean for security if you use the same code for a long period of time. See attached file.

Regards

XMexc
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2022 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter