Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Electric Armrest From S2 To S1.5

Club XM Forum > XM General Issues
jorgy9

Hi all

Yesterday I went on to install an electric armrest I had obtained last summer from an S2, to my S1.5 car. I found out the fittings' dimensioning is different. I have not read any similar experience??

This is how the front 2 studs differ:

user posted image

But that's not the only difference. That's where the above studs are when the armrest frame is placed into the single stud at the read:

user posted image

I finally placed it at the rear stud and secured the frame with tie wraps o nthe studs at the front. Still there seem to be something wrong with the whole fitting: the centre console needs to be flexed to be fully bolted at the rear as the armrest seats too high -but this is perhaps because I cannot bolt it fully down-. Also it looks like my armrest should be slightly more forward. Also it looks like it's too high -the boxe's surround rubber band is at 1-2cms apart from the cosole at hte lowest position. Despite all this it looks very steady and useable -the centre console blocks it well into place-.

Otherwise, passing it under the centre console was easy:

user posted image

As a piece of kit, what can I say, it's just what my right shoulder (remember I drive a LHD) needed for the boring motorway run I usually do.

cheers
G
citroenxm
Thats strange george,

When I had my FIRST XM, a 1991 H reg Si V6, I wanted leather to go in, I obtained some early S2 leather with an electric armrest, and it all went in NO PROBLEM what so ever, what a strnage thing to find for you...

Rgds
Paul
jorgy9

Hi Paul

Only thing I can think is perhaps it's different between RHD and LHD?

cheers
G
jorgy9

Looking at the photos of the armrest at about the middle of this page (the one with the cat on the table shows it better) versus mine, it's obvious that the front part of the frame's floors are different. Mine looks like is choped off with only the necessary left to make 2 holes, while the guy's is plain and I guess it has the 2 holes further forward than in mine. Thinking about, it I seem to remember that in the car I was stripping there was some kind of electronic box placed within this freed space under the armrest frame, something related to airbags/seat belts...

cheers
G
xmexclusive
Hi George

It may be that LHD is different but the height is wrong because you have not cut out the thick foam carpet underlay. The arm rest frame sits on the chassis metal. It should sit well forward in the centre console hole as a matching arm rest box has a spring loaded black plastic flap on the back that fills the 30mm or so of gap. Will see if I can check out the frames for differences as I think I have both Mk1 and Mk2 ones. I seem to recall a stud missing when I fitted an armrest in a low spec Mk2 but not now got the car to check on.

Regards

John
jorgy9
Hi John

Yes, I also got the spring loaded flap from the other car and moved it on my box. Indeed I noticed this flap looks useless in my installation as it is currently almost stuck at the rear. So my armrest must go forward as u say. I was thinking indeed of cutting the thick foam, just that in other "How to's" I read people tend to bolt it over the thick foam and only cut the "carpet" (which is pre-cut in places), but it's great to know that it's originally bolted metal to metal. I think doing as such, except of lowering the thing it will also tilt it forward a bit, so it might all come into place. As for the lack of front receptor holes in mine I think I'll take it to my indy and ask them to weld a plate to fill the floor gap, on which I'll then drill appropriate holes.

BTW, from the link I pasted I also notice that my armrest setup didn't have this plastic-looking intermediate plate going between the frame and the box.

cheers
G
robert_e_smart
Hi G,

I fitted one of these to my car a couple of weeks ago, it was a series 1 armrest fitted to a series 1 car.

Mine didn't even have studs on the floor, so I spent some time ensuring that the cradle affair was far enough forward, as the back of the cubby box would get caught on the centre console.

I cut the sound deadening foam away and placed it on the floor, the centre console holds it in, no chance of it moving. Perhaps it would be better for you to cut the bots off your floor, and line it up yourself.

But I wouldn't bother getting new bolts welded in, too much hassle.
xmexclusive
Hi George

Checked a few (4) arm rest bases this evening, a pair were ex Mk2 and a pair ex Mk1. All had the same three holes for fixing studs. The only difference between them was the metal frame at the front has a wider and deeper cut out to allow the early Mk2 seat belt tensioner sensor to bridge it. In these cars the rear of the sensor and the front of the armrest frame are held down by the same two studs. I guess your arm rest with its shortened front end came from a late Mk2 where a much larger multi function sensor is needed for side air bags. The rear of your frame looks identical to those I checked. This rear stud position is central on the exhaust tunnel and 70mm (measured down the centre line) in front of the rearmost pair of studs for fixing down the central console. This should enable you to position the arm rest frame in the correct position. If you find no studs and want to screw down why not get some very short large headed self tapping screws and just drill holes for them or use pop rivets. There is at least 10mm air space between the steel exhaust tunnel and the aluminium heat shield so drilling and screwing into the tunnel should not be that difficult or cause any problems.

Regards

John
rowanmoor
Hi John. If you have 4 then does that mean to want to part with one? wink.gif

I am still tempted by this upgrade. Do you have the switch, any wiring that is not standard fit to non-electric arm rest cars and the bits of rubber/flaps that go with it to do the upgrade? What is the full list of bits needed for the upgrade anyway?

I am guessing the weight would make it expensive to post though.
xmexclusive
Hi Rowan

Sorry earmarked for the long term SORN 2.5TD cars I am slowly upgrading. Those were in the sorted/wanted pile. There might just be a couple more in the heap but no hope of finding in the short term. I will PM you if I find anything. As I remember all 2.5's should have the wiring and plugs insitu but I will check this when I get a chance.

Regards

John
jorgy9
QUOTE (rowanmoor @ Jul 22 2008, 08:27 AM)

Do you have the switch, any wiring that is not standard fit to non-electric arm rest cars and the bits of rubber/flaps that go with it to do the upgrade?

Hi Rowan

The plug for the motor is identical to those used for the electric windows. The switch is electrically identical to the switch of the rear windows on the centre console -including switch illumination-. I happened to have an "armrest" switch and I wired it on one of these switches with scotchlokcs, 5 mins job, just "mirror" the pin connections.

Hope you can find one soon! After a few days driving I can confirm that all these years I was the driver-equivalent of a one-legged or a one-arm man (my other elbow always finding a resting place on the door) -now there's balance!-. The only other possible improvement I can now think of is hiring a chauffeur, moving at the rear seat, and having 2 blondes serving me refreshments!

cheers
G
citroenxm
Hi

Electric arm rests and auto transmissions are REALLY comfy for the elbows, as you dont need to move your arm to change gear it can stay were it is!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Yes yes VERY lazy driving, but driving the 24v manual would make up for that.. tongue.gif

Ive just recently done this arm rest upgradeon the Black Onyx SEi, and found it very easy, however, it is the second tine Ive done it, but the harness was not there, but all power and earth points are already there..and just to add to the confirmation, it is wired in EXACTLY the same was as an elecric window switch and motor, as the motor is similar to the window sort..

Rgds
Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter