Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Scrap?

Club XM Forum > XM General Issues
Zaphod
I finally fitted my new drive shaft to my 2.1TD.. horrible nose is still there. Could it be a wheelbearing? the noise there on the straight an on righthand bends. The old drive shaft I think has failed the inner gaiter was split. My other theory is the diff bearing is failing which would be very unfortunate as I don't have the time to change it. Everything works on this car!, which is quiet rare, (it's an exclusive) and the gearbox is very good, but if I can't find out what this noise is I am afraid the car is scrap sad.gif. The noise is road speed related not engine speed related, and I am fed up of driving the range rover!

Stewart
Andmcit
Guess you could turn the hi-fi up a bit louder and wait for the noise to manifest itself physically!!?

I'm sure I've heard an identical problem described on a forum elsewhere in the last day or
two; ignore me if it's your listing!! rolleyes.gif TBH there can only be a limited range of options
that are vehicle speed and steering related:

wheel bearing
intermediate bearing
tyre/crocked wheel

I believe from personal experience nearly every noise as described will be the wheelbearing:
I'd certainly try a replacement here before scrapping an otherwise smart sounding car!!
Did you detect any rock on the hub when you were plugging the new driveshaft off/on?

Andrew
Peter.N.
Hi Stewart

90% probability its the l/h front wheel bearing, they will go quiet when you take the weight off. The centre bearing is not really load sensitive as the CV joint absorbs any movement.

I'm just doing a clutch on my hatchback, compared to that a wheel bearing should be a piece of cake! biggrin.gif

Peter.N.
DrTim
QUOTE (Zaphod @ Jul 4 2008, 18:43 PM)
I finally fitted my new drive shaft to my 2.1TD.. horrible nose is still there. Could it be a wheelbearing? the noise there on the straight an on righthand bends. The old drive shaft I think has failed the inner gaiter was split. My other theory is the diff bearing is failing which would be very unfortunate as I don't have the time to change it. Everything works on this car!, which is quiet rare, (it's an exclusive) and the gearbox is very good, but if I can't find out what this noise is I am afraid the car is scrap sad.gif. The noise is road speed related not engine speed related, and I am fed up of driving the range rover!

Stewart

Did you read my recent posts about my now cured knocking? Drive, shaft, bearing or tensioner I thought after some posting and discussion with co-workers.

The upper engine mount was on the way out and allowing some very nasty resonances to develop. new uppper engine mount fitted, been driving it all week, no grinding or knocking.

hope this helps
Zaphod
I have now change the wheel bearing.. however no differance apart from it now has a broken ABS sensor, and am loosing patience with the car, even more so with the appearnce of a 2.0TCT SEi on ebay!

Where is this engine mouting?

Stewart
DrTim
OK mine is a 2.0i non turbo, the upper mountng that was replaced is sort of near the cooland expansion tankb and belts, not sure if diesel is the same, will try and grab a pic if you think it will help

regards
Ken newbold
What about the intermediate bearing?

I've known them to get VERY noisy on BX's
citroenxm
Yes Ken , agreed, I have sugested to Zaphod it could well be, under the mirrored post in "Series Two Parts"

I think it could well be that, this confirmed by chicaine driving.. if the noise remains then I be suspect of it, as theres no weight movment on it like a wheel bearing..

Paul
citroenxm
DrTim,

ALL XU series engines, thats DERV 2.1 and Petrol 2.oi (Turbo and non turbo) have the Engine mounts in the same place AND the HP Pump, alitinator and if fitted Air con compressors are also all in the same place!!

Only the V6 and 2.5 DERV have slightly different layouts, HOWEVER, engine mounts are all in the same place on the V6... the 2.5 does have an added mount or modified one on the off side turret..

Stewart,
Thinking about this today, I had a Xantia, and I put a spare wheel on with a slightly better grip on it, and you wouldn't beleve it, the wheel on that side started groaning like a wheel bearing!! I would have sworn it was. I even changed the wheel to another car and the noise went with the tyre .

Try another wheel and tyre! Seriously...

Rgds
Paul
DerekW
I don't suppose it could be something as simple as a stone trapped between the disc and the backing plate?

Derek
DrTim
QUOTE (citroenxm @ Jul 19 2008, 21:23 PM)
DrTim,

ALL XU series engines, thats DERV  2.1 and Petrol 2.oi (Turbo and non turbo) have the Engine mounts in the same place AND the HP Pump, alitinator and if fitted Air con compressors are also all in the same place!!

Only the V6 and 2.5 DERV have slightly different layouts, HOWEVER, engine mounts are all in the same place on the V6... the 2.5 does have an added mount or modified one on the off side turret..

Thanks Paul, however be aware they may be in the same place but they are different
parts, certainly for the 20i turbo and nonturbo, as my indie discovered.

regards
citroenxm
Absolutly... there is an obvious actual type difference, but the mounts on the car are in the same place, even the Xantia 1.9 XUD Turbo WILL go in...

Rgds
Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter