Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Drive Shafts?

Club XM Forum > XM General Issues
Pages: 1, 2
Zaphod
I have an odd rumbling, that is road speed related, I have done some tests. There is no noise at low speeds >20mph ish. It is present on the striaght ahead, and turning right, it disspears almost on left hand bends below 60MPH, but not at Mway speeds (although it lessens). At full lock eitherway in the car park no noise.

I have had a look under it and the CV gaiters are intact and the test in eth car park would lead me to belive they are fine. I have yet to jack the wheels up to test the wheel bearings but I have had them faile beofre and the noise isn't quiet right

The noise is like a light aircraft is stuck under the bonnet! although only noticable when not on the throtle. Almost like badly mesed gears. The gearbox works fine and fluid level is correct. I can't yet look properly as it has a cover under the engine (is this normal? none of my previous XMs have had this) Is there an intermediate drive shaft? and does the diff run in the same oil as the gearbox?

Stewart

citroenxm
Stewart,

Yes the auto box uses the same oil as the transmission fluild..

Yes there is a Half shaft bearing lieing down facing up looking at the underside of the engine, its on the right hand side above the bottom engine mount... these can get tired and rumble, however on my V6 I had one disintigrate, symptom? shuddering on accelleration similar to a ball joint, but worse...

Rgds
Paul
onthecut
Hi Stewart.

If the noise is constant at straight ahead it would suggest it's not the CV joints, as they aren't really doing anything too much in this mode. Does sound bearing - ish if a directional turn make a significant difference and the noise is there straight ahead. Always worth a look at the front pads, as well. I don't know if the XM is affected so badly, but on an AX I had, when the rear arm bearings gave out, that allowed the rear tyre to brush against the wheel arch under load. Final thought -- you haven't got a tyre giving up or under inflated ?

Mike.
Zaphod
Odd you should mention tyres.. as that was my first thought when I noticed it, however pulling over and looking at them it does not appear as though they have lost pressure.

Stewart
onthecut
Just a quick afterthought ----

I don't think the noise would be deep enough, but it might also be worth checking that one of the arch liners isn't flapping about once you get moving and catching the tyre. On several of the ones I've had, one or more of the press studs that retain them -- especially the pieces that cover the gap between the inner wing and subframe --- have been missing.

Mike.
Zaphod
Not much luck there, everything is present and correct.. even the engne undertray whihc I was never aware XM's had (the previous 3 didn't!)

Stewart
onthecut
QUOTE (Zaphod @ Jun 13 2008, 08:24 AM)
.. even the engne undertray whihc I was never aware XM's had (the previous 3 didn't!)

Stewart

Final comment, not on the noise issue ---- if you haven't already, take the tray off and carefully check the subframe. Beyond any doubt on the older of my two, it is that tray which had trapped grime and moisture leading to some significant corrosion on the LH side of the subframe near the lower arm mounts. Latest toy has cover missing and pretty much A1 frame. Hope yours is good.

Mike.
Zaphod
Found the source of the noise.. I think..

Got the passenger side wheel up and could not find any play but rotated it, and heard a springy flicking nose.. comming from the innder end of the shaft. CLoser examination I found the inner CV gaiter is splt and caould see the inner parts of the CV... bugger.. I suspect thats it! how hard is it to obtain a 36mm socket? as I think I can get a drive shaft.. is there any differance between sides?

Stewart
aengus-xmv6
engine side shaft is longer than the one on the gearbox side, and also has an intermediate bearing just behind the inner CV joint. Make sure you get the correct size shaft too - early 2.0i manual's had thinner shaft than the autos, v6 and deisel's.

Socket should be easy enough to obtain - but get an impact one so you have the option of using an impact wrench should you have one, and not have to worry about the socket

Must sort the inner gaiter on mine sometime soon too, on the long shaft.

regards
Dave
Zaphod
Thats an odd arrangement, as the whole point of the three shaft arragement is to keep the two outer shafts the same length to combat torque steer. Sure the engine side one isn' two shafts? one intermediate shaft with bearing bolted to the back of the block. Then a normal drive shaft (same as the other side) attached to this?.

Stewart
citroenxm
Yes stewart, thats EXACTLY correct, but after undooing the 2x 11mm nuts behind the engine that hold the intermediate shaft in, it will all come out as one long shaft, as long as the bearing is not too tight in the lower mount...

Rgds
Paul
Andmcit
I've just spent two evenings intermittently blatting the hell out of the half
shaft/intermediate bearing unsuccessfully attempting to get the damned thing
out of an XM 2.1TD. I honestly believed someone in the past had used
threadloc or loctite to hold the thing as sheer bloody mindedness and brute
force combined with cunning, releasing oil and time still wouldn't budge it.

In the end, a 5lb lump hammer and a ball joint taper splitter wedged between
the CV inner knuckle and the bracket casting just managed to budge the
shaft - it still gripped on for all it's worth. On Cx's in the past, the driveshafts
would push out by finger pressure.

Crazy design!! I actually thought the thing was in for the duration!
I don't understand why it has to be so tight as the lower wishbone/strut/
hub hold the driveshaft in.

Andrew
citroenxm
Andrew

It ALL depends, I think the out race suffers from rusting and jams itself in..

I've had hard, and Ive had push out finger slack!! Its luck of the draw...

Rgds
Paul
Zaphod
How hard is it to replace the shaft? I guess its a case of undoing drive shaft nut, bottom ball joint and extract the inner joint form the diff.. Is it worth drainging the gearbox first? (will probbly do that anyway and put new fluid in) .

Stewart
Andmcit
You WILL MOST CERTAINLY need to drain the gear oil as the driveshaft actually seals it
so removal will see oil pouring out easily!! Very messy.

Andrew
Pages: 1, 2
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2022 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter