Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version A New Noise

Club XM Forum > XM General Issues
robmc52
Evening all
My 2.1 td seems to have decided it's time to give me another problem. The noise it's started to make sounds like a brake caliper sticking slightly when turning to the left, a sort of grinding, rumbling noise. The thing is, it doesn't do it for about 20 minutes/half an hour after starting to drive but gradually gets louder the further I go. After that it's present when pulling away and going through the gears even with the steering straight but then diminishes as the speed increases until at, say 50 mph or over it only appears again when turning left. At low speeds it also seems to be related to engine revs and not road speed, I've checked the front brakes today and they seem fine, the calipers slide freely, handbrake cables are nearly new and adjusted ok, put new pads in while it was all off, still the same. Thats the extent of my probing I'm afraid, is there some component on the r/h engine side that could be loose and just vibrating when the car's going left? Had a nose under the bonnet but all I could find that was a slightly loose pump belt.

Bob
wirdy
CV joint?
robmc52
Hi Wirdy
Could be a cv, I'm sure it's running at the engine speed though. I'm worried about driving too far in case it's a belt tensioner or similar

Bob
Ciaran
I had the very same thing on the S2 2.1td, searched for the cause for ages, and it vanished when my indy changed the balljoint on the passenger side....

Ciarán
robmc52
Hi Ciaran
That's sneaky isn't it? Had my head under the driver's side all morning trying to tug bits about when all the time..... ! As soon as it stops raining I'll be checking under the nearside. Cheers for that

Bob

robmc52
Hi guys
Just an update on the mystery noise, it turns out to have been the top offside engine mount. Nothing wrong with the part itself, the motor and box were recently pulled due to a selector problem and upon reassembly the mounting wasn't lined up properly, twisting the rear part of the mount enough to start vibrating on left hand corners. All is now blissful silence once again!

Bob
Ciaran
Glad you got sorted Bob. Seems my noise is back! rolleyes.gif laugh.gif

Ciarán
robmc52
I mentioned the balljoint to the guy at the garage Ciaran, they had actually checked that as they've seen the problem on other cars. It turned out that there's two bolt holes next to each other on top of the engine mount and the bolt had just been put back in the wrong hole. No harm done except to my nerves of course!
Bob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2022 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter