Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Broken Cambelt

Club XM Forum > Diesel Specific Issues
Boris
I've just been offered a late S2 2.1 auto with leather etc in allegedly good nick except the cam belt has snapped.

What's the likely damage and prognosis. I'm completely unfamiliar with this engine but I'm a quick learner!. Should I save this car?

Andy

Ciaran
Sometimes in the 2.1 you can get lucky and get away with only broken rockers if the belt goes.

What condition is the rest of the car in, in particular the autobox? It could well be worth saving even if the engine is shot, you could get another engine or rebuild. Not many late 2.1s with leather left about.

Ciarán
citroenxm
Hi Boris,

Broken Cam belts are NOT bad news like the smaller 1.9 Xantia units!

The engines are designed to break the roker fingers only... and you can get the new ones back in WITHOUT removal of the cam shaft!!

I wish someone would offer me a 2.1 for free with broken belt!

Buy 12 rocker fingers, about 13 quid each or so, then work on the engine.

Remove rocker cover, and with a lot of cam shaft turning, remove the old fingers and the hydraulic fingers.

Refit: squeeze the rocker fingers down to remove the oil and to make them as short as possible, place them in, then the rocker fingers WILL slide under the cam shaft with the CAM LOBE in the UP position...

That should help make your mind up.

Its not a beginner job, but with a bit of mechanical knowledge, quite possible..

Good luck

Rgds

C
Boris
This is sounding promising. The car isn't quite free but it's less than scrap price.
I'm off to have a look on Tuesday.

There's slight technical problem of getting it home but I'm sure I'll think of something.

Why am I getting this serious urge to collect XMs?????????
Peter.N.
Its being on here that does it - I only had one before I joined! biggrin.gif

Peter.N.
demag

Because you've just beat Red Ken to the Mayor's job and you've got more dosh? tongue.gif
Boris
QUOTE (demag @ May 4 2008, 21:42 PM)

Because you've just beat Red Ken to the Mayor's job and you've got more dosh? tongue.gif

All my spare time is being taken up with the one I have (and running London!) so I'm going to give it a miss. If anyone is interested in this car then PM me and I'll give you the guys number. It's R reg and he's looking for £100.

Andy
Peter.N.
Is it manual?
Peter.N.
Sorry, I just read your post properly. wacko.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter