Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version 2.oi Turbo Steering Rack

Club XM Forum > XM General Issues
citroenxm
Hi all

Some advanced advice please, the 2.oi Turbo Onyx I have will need a replacement rack before its MOT as theres play in the rack, its DEFENATLY not in the rod ends, as the whole control arm moves in the play..

The question I have is, what sort of a job is a rack removal on the XM? I know the Xantia is rather impossible, despite Haynes saying it is! Will the job be easyer while I have the head off to solve the Oil in Water problem? Or is it Engine out alltogether?

Many thanks

C
aengus-xmv6
might just be the pinion/rack damper, which may be possible to adjust, and without removal of the rack.

Removal on my v6 was a sod, replacement even more so, but is possible - took me 14 hours in a single go at it, would help to have someone to help at the other end of the rack, I did it solo.

regards
Dave
Peter.N.
Hi C

It may also be the universal coupling at the bottom of the steering column. I changed a rack in one of mine, which wasn't the easiest job in the world, but easier than the head gasket (2.1 td), and it eventually turned out to be the coupling! mad.gif

The main problem is getting the rack out, as the hole it has to go through is smaller than the rack is! You have to move everything possible out of the way around the space, and then it keeps getting hooked on things as you pull. Its fiddely but can be done.

Peter.N.
citroenxm
Oh crap!

Thanks guys, looks like its an engine out job to make things easyer. Its defenatly on the rack itself, when i was putting the alloys on it, I discovered the play, thinking it was the track rod end ball joint I looked closer, but then saw the whole arm moving, and the play in the inner boot end..

Thanks anyway.. I look forward to dooing it, as mentioned, the engine needs work anyway, so I guess a bit more is needed now.

Rgds

C
aengus-xmv6
so the rack is floating - is that what you're seeing as play?

If it's at the pinion end, it may just be the damper and it can be adjusted, and also replaced without removing the rack, or so I believe.

Can't recall who now, but this was posted some time back, can't recall if it was in this forum, or on xm-l...

regards
Dave
xmexclusive
Hi CitroenXM

The whole subframe can be lowered on its bolts if you release the lower engine mount and support the engine. This gives 50 to 70mm more access space.

Regards

XMexc
Peter.N.
I wish you had told me that before! mad.gif biggrin.gif

Peter.N.
aengus-xmv6
be careful of the return hoses though - passenger corner (RHD) on the earlier cars didn't leave a lot of movement on the octopus arrangement, may be why mine split when I did the rack. Later revision seems to have replaced this arangement with 2 hoses that have some slack,

Must admit that I didn't seem to get much/any movement when I tried to drop the subframe on the V6.
Assich
Like lots of jobs once you've done it next time will only take a few hours I remove the hydraulic ram to make it easier getting it through the drivers side inner wing gap. Take the exhaust of the manifold and tie it up out the way to make life easier as well on the 2.0.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2022 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter