Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version New Interior

Club XM Forum > XM General Issues
John Malkovich
I was offered a complete new beige leather interior (seats, armrests, door trims) and carpets for my XM at a reasonable price. How difficult it is to DIY-replace it? Thank you for your opinions.
Peter.N.
Seats are easy enough, door panels not to bad, carpets probably not to bad if the seats are out. Not really difficult just fiddly.

Peter.N.
John Malkovich
Peter, thanks for your response. Is any glueing or spanning required so that the outcome actually depends on my upholstery skills?
xmexclusive
Hi John

As Peter says seats are easy, door panels a little more work. Carpet is quite hard work as you have to strip out the centre consol and also get to the fixings up under the dashboard. Changing the headlining is not that difficult. If you do include the carpet expect to take at least a day or so during which time you will not be able to use the car. With a complete change of internal trim no upholstery skills are needed just removal and refixing of trim elements. The key skill is to know about all the hidden fixings so as not to break components. If the replacement trim is already removed you need to check that all the bits are present and unbroken.

Regards

XMexc
wirdy
Has anyone replaced an estate carpet with a saloon carpet?

This is my next task - would be nice to know if the saloon carpet doesn't fit the estate before I struggle!!
Ciaran
As stated, carpets are the only hard part, door cards, and particularly seats, are an absolute doddle.

Literally, you can have a front seat out in two minutes, you just remove the bolts at the end of the rails, the plastic side panel, and unbolt the seatbelt mount to free it from the car. I changed my S2 to leather seats a while back and the swapover process was easy.

The hardest part was changing the seat bases but you shouldn't have to do that.

CiarĂ¡n
xmexclusive
Hi Wirdy

The carpets are identical for both cars and estates.

Regards

XMexc
wirdy
QUOTE (xmexclusive @ Jun 6 2008, 09:01 AM)
Hi Wirdy

The carpets are identical for both cars and estates.

Regards

XMexc

Thank you. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2022 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter