Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version Drive Shaft Going, Or ...?

Club XM Forum > XM General Issues
DrTim
Red K reg one stated making clattering noise when going round right hand bends (sometimes, not always) about a week agio. Sounds a lot like it was last year with old cam tensioner on, except that was continuous even when stationary.

Been getting a bit worse through the week, occasionally get the noise when going straight or left now.

A couple of people have suggested driveshaft. I'll get in in to the indies next week but any input appreciated.

I did ground the front about a month ago trying go into a deceptively nasty downhill sidestreet wiith bad lighting, not sure if related.

sigh.

At least blue one is MOT'd with new cams, accumulator and hydrflush now.
aengus-xmv6
are all the engine mount & torque braces bolted up tightly?
And worth checking the strut tops and drop links - recall my old 2.0sei was very clonky on fast RH turns when the top was failing.

Noticed my V6 makes a clunking of fast tight RH turns too, hoping it's just the drop links as the tops are good, not found anything else so far and it does clonk a bit on bumpy surfaces...

regards
Dave
robert_e_smart
My '90 Si does the same thing as well!

I hope its only the drop link, as it does it when going over ramps etc, and sharp right hand bends. Only started to do it recently though, can't think of anything to have provoked it.
DrTim
Thanks for the input guys, I'll let the indies have a look.

However it seems some kind soul has decided to give me another little job before I can drop it off with them. Luckily I picked up an O/S mirror on bay a couple of months back, but at this rate I must surely exhaust the supply of second hand S1 mirrors sometime soon :-)

user posted image
aengus-xmv6
wow Tim you must live in a real nice area - is it some prat driving by, or moronic vandalism. Do you fold the mirrors in when parked? Probably wouldn't make that much difference tho.

Don't suppose you can rig up some sort of CCTV to collect evidence and get the perpetrator to pay up? After all, if it was a vehicle deing driven, then technically they are liable.

regards
Dave
DrTim
QUOTE (aengus-xmv6 @ Apr 5 2008, 19:34 PM)
wow Tim you must live in a real nice area - is it some prat driving by, or moronic vandalism. Do you fold the mirrors in when parked? Probably wouldn't make that much difference tho.

Don't suppose you can rig up some sort of CCTV to collect evidence and get the perpetrator to pay up? After all, if it was a vehicle deing driven, then technically they are liable.

regards
Dave

Angus-xmv6 there are pics of my street in my post in reader's rides, and previous discussions about mirrors in the thread about the last mirror outage

http://club-xm.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2843

http://club-xm.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2837

Suffice to say, no I don't fold the mirrors in, because (1) S1 mirrors are crap (2) the second hand or bodged together from bits of broken ones ones that I've been using
since I gave up buying new ones are even worse) (3) the only time I ever did, in autumn 2001 when cash was getting a bit tight and I didn't want to be paying any more for a new one, it just meant that someone drove a bit closer and took out 2 offside panels as well. Luckily insurance did the work as vandalism, I paid the price with increased premiums for a couple of years.

I have had them broken on pavement side also:-(.

Possibly it is a neghbour pissed at me having 2 cars to park (it can get very difficult sometimes to park around here) , jealous I have 2 XM's, or still got a grudge about the noise (I DON'T play the 400 watt PA at home anymore, honest, and since I got the radio headphones its mostly TV and the odd CD while in the bath or cooking), or just have a problem with people that are different to themm but I don't have energy to waste anymore on wondering really.

Literally, I ALMOST moved it last nite when I got back from my manager's leaving do. I had parked slightly non parallel to the kerb (back about 2 inchs, front about 4 from it) ealier, friday nite, totally done in after a long week, and when I got back from the do there was a space right outside my house, and I want to clean it out inside before trip to indies,
but anyway, I didn't because even though I hadn't been drinking, I was still totally done in. Wish I had now. I'll have to watch the non-parallel parking I guess, and get closer to the kerb, but then I end up with failed tyre walls... sigh.

People keep knocking the S2 mirrors as well, and the drivers side shell is cracked now from two incidents, the second of which smashed the glass as well (maybe it was an idiot with a grudge?) but they seem to be a lot better than the S1 ones in surviving it. Just as well really, as its an unusual colour and it'll probably have to be a new one from the stealers if it's ever needed.
DrTim
OK quick update on the mirror situation, it transpires several were done in my street overnite friday, I THOUGHT it looked like someone had just lent on it rather than clipped it. This isn't the first time, seems to be getting worse since 2006, mirrors, windows, tyres (I avoided tyre slashing 28th dec by one car!) Don't know really what one can do, obviously idiots, one time someone noticed and the cops came but charges were not laid due to insufficient evedence, so no chance of any damages:-(.

Maybe its some gang initiation rite or something:-(.

btw snow has reached Bristol and stopped hoovering prior to replacing mirror. Looka like its stopped now after 10 mins though.
jorgy9

Well I guess you (we) just have to be happy it's a cheap car with cheap second hand parts.

My car and another one were also recently "chosen" in my street for "mirror resistance testing" and I found it in the exact same sad state as in your photo -hanging-. Couldn't believe it, it must have required real effort to brake that bracket.

I couldn't believe it, my mirror gone for no reason, but after 5 years of car ownership in the UK and several incidents, I've understood the game, and been slightly used to it -in the beggining I used to feel as if they had stabbed my heart, and was very angry for days-. In Greece u'd just go out and smash the head of any adult doing anything to your car just for fun -because it's not normal-, of course here you risk to be stabbed if you do so, or beaten up by the whole gang the next day. What I hate even more is the attitude of some mothers/fathers when you go just to inform them that their little jewel has been developing their artistic skills with stones on your bonnet -why can't they not just geniunely show sympathy and do the necessary to explain them that they shouldn't practice that??-. Instead, they get offended, defensive and finally make you feel like *you* should be ashamed!!! Madness! But I guess they do it in fear you might ask for recompensation from them -am I right?-. My 1994 car had lived for 10 years in Germany and was literally *like new* when I bought it; seriously, it was collection-state. Look at it just now...

Nothing, you need a garaged space in the UK, if not better don't worry much about your car's appearance.
G
DrTim
QUOTE (jorgy9 @ Apr 6 2008, 17:30 PM)
Well I guess you (we) just have to be happy it's a cheap car with cheap second hand parts.

My car and another one were also recently "chosen" in my street for "mirror resistance testing" and I found it in the exact same sad state as in your photo -hanging-. Couldn't believe it, it must have required real effort to brake that bracket.

I couldn't believe it, my mirror gone for no reason, but after 5 years of car ownership in the UK and several incidents, I've understood the game, and been slightly used to it -in the beggining I used to feel as if they had stabbed my heart, and was very angry for days-. In Greece u'd just go out and smash the head of any adult doing anything to your car just for fun -because it's not normal-, of course here you risk to be stabbed if you do so, or beaten up by the whole gang the next day. What I hate even more is the attitude of some mothers/fathers when you go just to inform them that their little jewel has been developing their artistic skills with stones on your bonnet -why can't they not just geniunely show sympathy and do the necessary to explain them that they shouldn't practice that??-. Instead, they get offended, defensive and finally make you feel like *you* should be ashamed!!! Madness! But I guess they do it in fear you might ask for recompensation from them -am I right?-. My 1994 car had lived for 10 years in Germany and was literally *like new* when I bought it; seriously, it was collection-state. Look at it just now... 

Nothing, you need a garaged space in the UK, if not better don't worry much about your car's appearance.
G

Yup Jorgy9, you got it, keyed roof and dents don't affect the driveability. smashed windowe and mirrors do however. People get VERY defensie don;t they. There was a white BX that lived close to me several; years back and when my front OS wing was dented you could SEE my paint on his bumper, but when approached they tried to make me feel stupid.

I did clip a couple of mirrors back last year when I had been driving pool cars for a few months and forgot about how wide an XM is. Both times on Gloucester Road, both times driver present but illegally parked. First one I didn't realize about illegal parking and ended up paying for a Gulf mirror. Second time I made the point about illegal parking and he backed down. I do try to stop Thats is not however vandalism while parked.

Sign new mirror on again, and central locking seems to be working better with key that side now (didn;t put it back together quite right like last time.

Another neighbour reckons it was a large lorry Sat am. We do get them occasionally. I'm still not however sure and will be making some discrete inquiries in a few places about the gang stuff.

laters, stopped snowing again, onl;y a few flurries down here really.
robert_e_smart
Hi Dr Tim,

Any update on what was wrong with your XM?
DrTim
OK, been on hold fir a while, the old Prestige hasnt had much use since I posted, due to nasty noiises and lack of sounds and lack of cash flow.

Last week my indies replaced upper engine mount, got it back Froday, been aroound town a few times and took it on a good run to Radford last night, the nasty noises have gone!

Took a few days to get correct part, apparently they were initially sent one for a turbo engine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here .
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
Adapted by Shaun Harrison
Translated and modified by Fantome et David, Lafter